Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: i have 1 hard drive; 4 partitions; i only want 1  (Read 9638 times)

Anodoin

Intermediate

Re: i have 1 hard drive; 4 partitions; i only want 1
    « Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 06:34:32 PM »
    Tanhus:   Start a new thread, you'll get more replies that way.

Margaret:  You will not need a WIndows cd if you use a program like Partition Magic to resize the partitions WITHOUT deleting anything on the drive.  If you use Windows to delete the other partitions and merge them all into one, you will lose everything you currently have on the computer and will then need to reinstall Windows. 

Depending how how much of your stuff is on the drive will help you decide which you'd rather do -- resize the partitions, or reinstall Windows.

Also, once you end up with your 1 partition, I recommend converting the filesystem to NTFS.

liambiscuit

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 06:06:50 AM »
      Well... i don't see a problem here:
      ...you will lose everything you currently have on the computer...
      he bought the comp at a thrift store... which means the files are unimportant
      but...
      ...and will then need to reinstall Windows.

Who said he wanted windows? lol
      and plus your making a larger deal out of it than necesary...
      ive installed Vista Ultimate on 17 different computers in January, and thats a much more complex OS which takes much more time...
      then again im a computer geek :P
      but what anodoin said should work
      " When the rich wage war its the Poor who die "
              Linkin Park

Whoever said that nothing is impossible has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door. -- Lauren

You cannot buy your friends but you can buy them pizza - AzureBlade49

margaretforgets

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 04:43:12 PM »
      I'm not concerned about saving any information, the problem is not wanting to spend a ton of money on a new XP.  The product code is somewhere in DOS, right?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »

margaretforgets

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »
      Thank you!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 12:11:22 PM »
      Did it?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »
      I bought the computer at the thrift store and it's running XP. The C drive is full and I can't get an anti virus program to install due to low memory. Will re-partitioning the hard drive fix that? Now my control panel is gone and I searched and the computer can't even find it.  Also, someone was on the computer and that might be the problem with the control panel too.
      Some pertinent points were never mentioned in this discussion.  How big is partition C?  How much free space on it?  Does that computer have programs installed that you don't want?  If so, remove them to free up space. 

How big is the entire hard drive? You can install programs on partitions other than C. 

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 02:58:21 PM »
        Well... i don't see a problem here:
        he bought the comp at a thrift store... which means the files are unimportant
        but...

Where the computer was originally purchased has little to do with which important filse are currently on the computer.  However, the person's next post addresses that and they're not important.

Who said he wanted windows? lol
        and plus your making a larger deal out of it than necesary...
        ive installed Vista Ultimate on 17 different computers in January, and thats a much more complex OS which takes much more time...
        then again im a computer geek :P
        but what anodoin said should work

While not stating it directly, the fact that they're looking to extract the license key so they don't have to purchase another one indicates to me they're looking to put XP back on the machine. 

You're right, reinstalling Windows is not that big of a deal, assuming they can get a hold of the same type of WIndows that's on their current machine.  Depending on their situation, it would probably be easier to resize the live partitions than tracking down the right version of XP and reinstall. 

But the main purpose of me suggesting to use something like Partition Magic is the preservation of data currently on the drives.  Since this is not a concern, I would most definately suggest that the harddrives are wiped and repartitioned as it would probably be beneficial for all involved if it was a fresh copy of Windows.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »
        That's not a quote from the OP...that's a contributor to the thread.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

margaretforgets

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 12:52:06 PM »
        What I decided to do was to delete the partitions and install a new XP. My only problem now is that the computer wouldn't let me delete the last partition and so I have C - with the original OP and D- with the new XP. Can anyone tell me why I can't get rid of the old XP? The sizes of the 2 partitions are around 5G on C, and 15G on D