Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: n00b question about ddr  (Read 2557 times)

butterflap

Topic Starter

Rookie

n00b question about ddr
    « on: February 09, 2008, 10:22:46 PM »
    ok i ordered a computer online and the motherboard only supports ddr which is fine but i was wondering if i got a new graphics card with ddr2 memory would it work? or would some of the ram have to be shared for it to not work(like 512mb ddr2 ram on the video card but 256mb is shared from the ram on motherboard which is only ddr.)  the motherboard is an Asus p4p8x SE, if it helps.
    « Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:40:08 PM by butterflap »

homer

Expert
      Re: n00b question about ddr
      « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 01:55:51 AM »
      you ordered a comp online with only DDR support? i hope your not spending more then $50 on it then. as for the graphics card compatiblity, it will work with a DDR motherboard as the memory on the video card is independant from the motherboard.

butterflap

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 02:11:15 AM »
        thanks and it supports dual channel ddr if thats any better.  but what if 256mb of the video card ram was shared? and i did pay over 50$ for it but it has a 70$ gpu, 256gb hardrive, 1gb ram and a 3.2ghz p4 processor.......... look my current computer has 400mhz processor, 96 mb ram and 4gb hard drive running windows 98 so i could care less if it doesn't support ddr2. the only games i would play are counter strike source, hl2 and garry's mod so dont need too much.
        « Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:23:52 AM by butterflap »

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 02:32:48 AM »
          but what if 256mb of the video card ram was shared?

doesnt matter. it will still work.

so i could care less if it doesn't support ddr2

DDR RAM costs the same, if not more then DDR2 RAM, DDR RAM also preforms significantly slower then DDR2 RAM. i strongly suggest purchasing a more modern motherboard.

butterflap

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 03:10:11 AM »
            hmmm ok but i have no clue which one to get i only have about 80$ to spend. and i still need a better graphics card... EDIT: hmm what about the xfx 610i? it seems pretty good. except i would need a new graphics card for pci-e.
            « Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:23:24 AM by butterflap »

homer

Expert
              « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »
              $80 budget for a complete computer? (RAM, motherboard, harddrive, CPU, video card, DVD drive, and a case)

butterflap

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 03:40:44 PM »
                no i already have a complete computer i have a budget of 80-90$ for a motherboard and i still need a graphics card if i upgrade to pci-e. i can transfer everything to a new motherboard except for the bfg geforce agp 6200 oc. i dont really see that much of a problem with the current motherboard, it has gigabit lan, 800mhz fsb and supports up to 4gb of dual cannel ddr ram. Do I really need ddr2 that much?

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 04:11:15 PM »
                Ain't gonna happen for 80 Bucks...
                I suggest you start a dream list of what you want you're new machine to be and then budget for it.
                Even if it takes some time to build it'll be worth it.

PS: Since we have absolutely no clue what MBoard you have intelligent advice and responses are going to be guesses at best.
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

butterflap

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 04:23:56 PM »
                  on the first post i said it was an Asus p4p8x SE motherboard. and i dont really have a dream computer i just wanna play hl2 counter strike source garry's mod and f.e.a.r. and was wondering if i got a new graphics card with 512mb ddr2 ram and 256 was shared would it work because it would share 256 from the motherbaord but the motherboard has ddr ram so.......yeah......

homer

Expert
                    « Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 04:30:23 PM »
                    Do I really need ddr2 that much?

its up to you. personally i do not support spending money on obsolete hardware, especially when it costs the same if not more then better hardware. DDR3 has been out for a bit now and it will soon replace DDR2, just so you know how obsolete DDR is.

i second patio's advice of saving some money. i would buy a motherboard that supports DDR2 and dual/quad core CPU's. this will give you some headroom for upgrading in the future.

butterflap

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
                      yeah i can understand that but im only 15 and i dont make alot of money and i was lucky to even get the computer i got. i think my current computer uses sd-ram or something of that sort and can barely handle youtube so anythings an upgrade for me..anyway  thanks for all your help. the computer has not arrived yet but as long as it can handle f.e.a.r i wont look into upgrading save for maybe a xfx 7600gt and maybe some more ram.