Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Decreased CPU Frequency...  (Read 2023 times)

Mr.Bond

Decreased CPU Frequency...
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:27:18 PM »
Hey everyone, I have a P4 3.2Ghz HT Processor which I overclocked to about 3.5-3.6ghz using a zalman 9500A cooler. Everything was great and the CPU was fine (temp was even cooler than before I overclocked it) and then  a few months later I opened PC Wizard 2007 and the program said my CPU, even though the FSB  Frequency was 880 Mhz and a Bus Speed of 220, that my actual (real) CPU frequency was only 3080.48 Mhz (3.0Ghz)! A few months ago I opened the program and it said I was at my 3.5-3.6Ghz... I went into the BIOS (I have an Asus P4P800S-X mobo) and my settings still said I had given it slightly more than a 10% overclock... but even the BIOS said my cpu was at 3.0Ghz...So is my CPU just old/fried or is the computer just lying to me? Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys!
-Mr.Bond

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Decreased CPU Frequency...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:58:50 PM »
If you have had a power outage or the CMOS battery is weak that would explain the BIOS resetting to defaults which would nullify any changes you made...
Another thing to consider is many board manuf. onboard utilities may not report OC'ing details properly...

Travel Here for some suggestions on reporting utilities. I'm not sure if PCWizard is considered one of the top notch ones or not.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mr.Bond

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:25:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply, but I've checked the bios settings and they say that I've overclocked the CPU 10%...The other thing is that both the mobo and PC Wizard 2007 did show that the CPU was overclocked a month ago. I've changed no settings, but all of the sudden I looked and it had dropped...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 09:42:45 PM »
Well your conclusion contradicts what you just stated as to how it's being reported...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "