Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can u Convert a COM File back into a Batch File?  (Read 6305 times)

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

Re: Can u Convert a COM File back into a Batch File?
    « Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 07:16:52 AM »
    thanks!
    If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 07:29:02 AM »
      ah crud. i used the ASCII characters in my batch file but they come out as different characters when i run the batch file.

llmeyer1000

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 08:12:23 AM »
        YES,
        You can type most of the 256 ASCII charactors with the ALT-123 method, but be careful with the first 32 & the last one(ALT-255). Many of these have special functions that will give you unexpected results. I think most of the rest are safe. Use the space bar, unless you have a specific reason for the blank(ALT-255).

Also some of the charactors appear differently in one editor than than they do in another. Try the blank(ALT-255). In this window, it appears correctly(it looks a lot like a space(ALT-32) but is a completely different charactor.) In DOS editor for WindowsXP, it appears correctly also, but in some of the older versions, DOS 6.22 - Windows 98, It shows up as a visible charactor on the screen. In Note Pad you may get entirely different results. Some of the charactors can be typed only with a HEX editor, which is not what you want to do here.

Sometimes DOS Editor will not save the charactor as typed, especially the first 32. DOS Editor in XP has Save as Type - Unicode. This might help, but I doubt it, if you are trying to use the special charactors. I don't know whether Unicode was available in earlier versions or not.

WOW! we are way off on a tangent here, aren't we???

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 02:12:26 PM »
        ah crud. i used the ASCII characters in my batch file but they come out as different characters when i run the batch file.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I use Edit.com in XP and W2k to create the script as this ties in with the 'Dos' side of things, not sure what other editors will produce.

Apols.
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 03:44:02 PM »
          oh then i'll try edit

SOAP

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »
            Man was i wrong ( I wasn't even in the ball park). Thanks for setting me straight patio and llmeyer.