Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Browser Causing Restarts/Disk Checking  (Read 2615 times)

Stogey

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Browser Causing Restarts/Disk Checking
    « on: February 10, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »
    I'm running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2, 1.2GHz Celeron, 512MB RAM, 9250 Saphire (I think) 250MB video card.  I have to run chkdsk every time I turn my computer on, regardless of how it was turned off.  Also, recently, about 50% of the time I try to open Opera, my computer restarts.  I don't know if this can happen with Firefox, but it hasn't yet, despite a few attempts.

I remember disk checking saying there was a problem with cross-linking or something like that.  I'm putting a new computer together this week, but my dad will still be using this one, so I want to kix the major problems with it since I kind of screwed it up originally.   Any idea what's wrong?

TheEmperor

Intermediate

Re: Browser Causing Restarts/Disk Checking
      « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »
      Download the ultimate boot CDhttp://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ burn it, boot from it, run the hard drive diagnostic. Sounds like you might have a failing drive.
      The Emperor
      Ruling over Technology since 1998
      www.TechEmperor.com

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »
      I'd be cautious recommending UBCD to just anyone...there are quite a few dangerous tools on there.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TheEmperor

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:11:58 PM »
        So long as they don't go delving randomly through it and running things they should be fine. The hard drive diagnostics is the second option on the first screen as I recall, so it shouldn't be too hard for people to find and run.
        The Emperor
        Ruling over Technology since 1998
        www.TechEmperor.com

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:29:28 PM »
        I agree.
        However this is why it may be best to steer them to the HDD manuf. site for the tools.

A few years back on another Help Forum a few people caused irreversible consequences just moving around in UBCD.

That's why i try to make sure the user has a good understanding of diagnostics tools and command line syntax before i'll suggest it.

Not being critical here...just cautious.

Stogey

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 02:08:11 PM »
          So are there any safer alternatives?  I remember seeing something during disk checking that looked like hexadecimal.  Could there be a problem in the registry I could fix with a little guidance?  I'm still learning so that might not make any sense, but I'd rather avoid such a risky fix.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 03:11:09 PM »
          Find out who makes your HDD and travel to their site and DLoad their diagnostics...they're Free and are used to create a boot CD/floppy to test the drive.