Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd player and dvd-r problems  (Read 3542 times)

skiman218

dvd player and dvd-r problems
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:20:52 PM »
where to begin...

Compaq presario 6016us
windows xp  sp2
ati all in wonder 9800 pro

52x32 combo drive  unknown manufacturer was changed about 2 years ago
lite-on dvd recorder

ok now the problem,  for whatever reason the other day I lost both dvd drivers,  i found on Compaq's website to uninstall the drivers and reboot.  After the reboot the found new hardware wizard came up, I selected to install automatic, after a minute or two it stated the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software, I tried both drives in a different computer running winxp w/sp2, both were detected and installed without a problem.  So after doing some research I found that if I uninstalled the IDE primary and secondary drives that might solve my problem...well now I have both drives and both IDE drives that will not install.  Here is the thing that blows my mind, both drives show up on my computer and device manager as working properly, as is the IDE drives, when I click on them and click on the driver tab it is not showing any drivers????  Now everytime I boot up the computer the found new hardware wizard comes up and says found new hardware for these 4 items but does not install any of them.  Also something new happened today, I plug in my new mp3 player into the usb port, again the found new hardware came up and did not install, I even tried installing from the disk but windows states the files cannot be found,  I tried that in the other computer and it installed no problem without the disk,   someone, anyone please help

randaklin

Re: dvd player and dvd-r problems
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »
    Try one of these two, step by step.

Advanced troubleshooting for issues that occur when you are installing a new CD or DVD drive on Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314096

Your CD-RW drive is not recognized as a rewritable drive in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883523/

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 04:21:35 AM »
    Adding to randaklin's help.

You could try running 'Guided help'..

Download the file'Download Guided Help'
    and run it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

skiman218

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:06:19 PM »
    thanks for all of the advice, I decided to back all of my files up and do a fresh install of winxp pro,  that solved all of my problems