Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with Windows XP, help? Connections/Hardware  (Read 2946 times)

ado

Problems with Windows XP, help? Connections/Hardware
« on: February 13, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »
I recently had my computer serviced by Circuit City and when I got the computer back, everything looked fine, the internet connected and the speed was as fast as it should be since I use cable.

The problem is, everything except for Internet Explorer is blocked from accessing the internet. I don't have any firewall or anti-virus software installed or running so I can't think of what could be blocking everything. When I launch internet explorer, it runs fine. But I logged into comcast to download mcafee and it says my windows is out-dated, which it isnt.

I also went to download and install Zonelabs Internet Security Suite. The download and installation went fine, but when going to launch the program I get the error "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142).  Click on OK to terminate the application." The only option is ok, the program never becomes visible for even a second, and after hitting ok it just stays closed. I get this error with several internet protection programs.

I obviously have an internet connection because I am able to browse online and access this forum, but when I installed AOL Instant Messenger the program never connects to the internet. I also went to install comcast toolbar with the spyware protection on it, and after asking for the zip code it begins to connect to the internet and says there is no connection, but there is. Microsoft updates also connect fine.

What could be giving me these two problems?

I have not installed ANY programs since the reformat, the cable connection is connect and I checked all the cords and connections to the computer.

Thanks a lot and I appreciate any help/tips.

billjenkins

Rookie

Re: Problems with Windows XP, help? Connections/Hardware
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »
    I suspect that it might be an OS problem. It is advisable to reformat your harddisk before reinstalling the OS.

Bill
    -----------
    http://www.TipsInfinity.com/technology/
    FREE Computer Tips To Better Your Life

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 07:14:38 PM »
    Any programs you don't recognise listed in Add/Remove Programs or in Explorer/Program Files ? ?

Call Circuit City and see if they load any propietary protection apps normally...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:19:10 PM »
    What was the initial problem, which caused the trip to CC?

TheEmperor

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:12:22 AM »
      Wow, slow your roll on the reformat and reinstall stuff. That's not necessary.

Also, you say you aren't using any firewalls, but what about Windows firewall? If you just got your PC back from the shop their standard procedure might be to enable Windows Firewall. Go to Control Panel, Security Center, Windows Firewall and see whether it is On or Off.
      The Emperor
      Ruling over Technology since 1998
      www.TechEmperor.com

ado

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 12:28:24 PM »
      Everything was reformatted already, because the computer was slow, programs kept crashing, system restore wouldn't run properly, the d drive was acting up etc.

Everything is functioning except for the problems I named.

TheEmperor

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »
        So you have the system back now after it was reformatted, and you are having this internet issue. Can you please do what I asked and check to see if Windows Firewall is ON or OFF?

Thanks!
        The Emperor
        Ruling over Technology since 1998
        www.TechEmperor.com

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
        Any programs you don't recognise listed in Add/Remove Programs or in Explorer/Program Files ? ?

Call Circuit City and see if they load any propietary protection apps normally...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »
        Does Firefox work properly?