Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding a hard drive  (Read 2461 times)

wanderer

Topic Starter

Rookie

Adding a hard drive
    « on: February 13, 2008, 02:18:19 PM »
    I have a dell dimension xps, gen 2.  I have a SADA hard drive and would like to add another drive for backup and storage.  I want to add a IDEE type drive.  I believe I'm supposed to set the drive as a slave but the pin configuration on the SADA drive is different.  There are only 4 sets of pins with a plastic cap on the third from the left.  How do I set this drive as a master?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Adding a hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »
    The SATA should take priority over any IDE drives and need not be jumpered...
    Set the IDE as slave and connect it to the middle ribbon connector and you should be fine.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wanderer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »
      Thank You.

wanderer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 08:20:52 AM »
        I installed the new hard drive. The CPU is not recognizing it.  When I boot the machine I get the message, Press F1 to continue or F2 to go to setup.  Do I need to do anything else?
        « Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:13:23 PM by wanderer »

homer

Expert
          « Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:51:55 PM »
          The CPU is not recognizing it

I have a SADA hard drive

I want to add a IDEE type drive

please use correct terminology. if you are unsure about what something is called, describe it, as incorrect terminology can cause confusion and lead us to giving you incorrect information. the CPU does not recognize anything, it processes information. also, there is no such thing as a SADA and IDEE harddrive, they are SATA and IDE.

with that being sorted out, i believe you meant to say that the computer does not recognize the new harddrive. have you formatted and installed windows on it? does it show up in the BIOS?