Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with reading discs in the c.d. drive.  (Read 3441 times)

bubbaluga

problem with reading discs in the c.d. drive.
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:57:14 PM »
hello,
i  am after alittle help, i am not the  greatest computer wiz, and im having trouble with my computer :S..

the problem is.. it is  laptop. and the c.d. drive seems not to work , i mean it works in so that oyu can insert  a c.d.  but it dsnt read it , it iruns and then when the c.d. is in it shows in "my computer" as if there is a blank c.d. in the drive ready to be written to. instead of a c.d. with information, it  reads all c.d.s as blank, whent hey are first inserted the popup comes asking what i would wish to do and it gove only options asif the c.d. is  a new blank disc.. it  gives no option to run the c.d.

also when i try to  burn c.d.s the burning process begins and then it announces that ther eis an error and stops a short way through.

it seems to me ther eis some softwear missing that must be vital to allowing the c.d. drive to run,
has anyone an idea how i could fix this, i guess it is as simple as downloading s specific file from microsofts website , but what i dont know.

any help would be very useful,

Dias de verano

Re: problem with reading discs in the c.d. drive.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »
It may be broken. If it won't read a pressed disk (a music CD you bought in a store) (does anybody do that any more?) or a software installation disk and burns fail regularly then maybe it is busted. Maybe you could try cleaning the lens with a cleaning disk.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:20:33 PM »
Is it CD burner, or CD ROM?

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 12:08:56 AM »
Is it CD burner, or CD ROM?

also when i try to  burn c.d.s the burning process begins and then it announces that ther eis an error and stops a short way through.

A burner, I think!

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 12:12:06 AM »
I've seen people already, trying to burn CDs in CD ROMs, that's why I asked.

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 12:29:43 AM »
Now you mention it, so have I. Many younger people will never have seen a read-only optical drive, I guess. I have an IDE 52x CD-ROM in the cupboard that will never be used again, I'm sure, since CD writers cost about 15 euros if you can find them.