Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard issues  (Read 5849 times)

Chewzy42

Re: Keyboard issues
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 12:31:51 PM »
OK, it looks like I'm confusing everyone.  I said CPU, speaking as the whole unit.  Anyway, my computer has Windows XP on it.  Answering your other question Deerpark, the system was installing updates.  Then when it rebooted I received a message that the update was corrupted and I needed to uninstall it.  But everytime I tried the computer would shut down.  So after several tries I decided to just go into system restore and set it back to a date before the problem occurred.  So when the log in screen came back up my keyboard was working.  The mouse works perfectly, the receiver works perfectly.  That's when I tried to see if it work with another keyboard, which it didn't  so then I decided to purchase another keyboard.  Which all lead me up to now.  Hope that helps.

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »
    Hmm from what you're saying it doesn't really smell like a hardware problem to me. It sounds like a problem with Windows.

If you start up in safe mode does the keyboard work?
    Also, do the keyboard work before Windows load? I.e. are you able to select safe mode with the keyboard?
    If you can't access the safe mode menu with your USB keyboard try the PS/2. Depending on the computer, USB keyboards might not work before Windows is loaded.
    And I also just remembered. Make sure you plug the PS/2 keyboard into the right port. Computers usually have two PS/2 ports, 1 for mice and 1 for keyboards. The keyboard port is usually purple.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Chewzy42

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 01:07:25 PM »
    No I can't use the keyboard at all, not even to get to safe mode.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »
      Did you try the PS/2 keyboard?

Chewzy42

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »
      Yes I tried the ps/2 keyboard, all it does is lights up and than the light goes out and than nothing,

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 10:43:39 AM »
        So neither PS/2 or USB keyboard work at any point during the startup?
        Do the numlock status light power up on the USB keyboard?

Chewzy42

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 01:44:54 PM »
        neither work on start up and yes the usb keyboard num lock lights up and stays on when it gets to the log in screen.

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
          Hmm I'm out of ideas.
          You can try reinstalling Windows and see if it helps. But it sounds like some kind of problem with the motherboard.
          If you need to get data of the hard drive before reinstalling Windows I suggest you take out the hard drive and hook it up to another computer as a slave device.

Chewzy42

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 07:54:37 PM »
          Okay, thanks alot Deerpark, I spoke to the Information Technology person at work and she suggested I reinstall windows xp also.  So it looks like you're on the right track.  So again thanks alot for your time and advice.

Chewzy42

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 04:52:44 PM »
          Okay, I waited because I was frustrated and tried to tackle it again this evening.  When the screen came up to press any key to boot the cd, guess what, I can't press any key.  I guess I'm going to give up and call the geek squad.  Thanks again everyone.