Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printers and Laptops  (Read 2199 times)

lemon

Printers and Laptops
« on: February 16, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »
I don't know very much about computers so plz bear with me.  I know this is probably a really dumb question, but can you print from a laptop?

I'm asking this because I don't have a parallel port on my laptop, but I have another port that is smaller. Or do new printers connect in a different way?

thanks.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Printers and Laptops
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 01:32:08 PM »
Sure, you can print from a laptop.  Most new printers connect to a USB port.  Some printers, like the Canon BJC-3000 I have, have both parallel and USB connectors. 

If your printer can not use USB, I'm afraid you'll need to get a new printer.  Do you have another computer you could connect a printer to and then network the computers and print to the printer connected to the other computer via the network?

lemon

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »
Sure, you can print from a laptop.  Most new printers connect to a USB port.  Some printers, like the Canon BJC-3000 I have, have both parallel and USB connectors. 

If your printer can not use USB, I'm afraid you'll need to get a new printer.  Do you have another computer you could connect a printer to and then network the computers and print to the printer connected to the other computer via the network?

Thank you  :)

Um I do have another computer with a printer connected to it already but the computer is very old and can hardly turn on. It's a windows 98.

I had another question about printers......in your opinion which one is better a inkjet or laser? I'm a highschool student so I won't really need one with colour.....just like for essays and assignments.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 01:50:54 PM »
In my opinion, an inkjet might be the best choice for you.  Even though you think you do not need color, I would think you might want to put some color in some school report if you use charts or graphs in the report, or some color images to spice up the report if appropriate. 

The basic laser printers start at a higher price, and, based on what I see on newegg.com,  that starting point does generally not include color models. 

Other forum members may have a different viewpoint on this, so they're welcome to comment.