Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transfering old computer to new computer  (Read 6050 times)

Holle Longland

Transfering old computer to new computer
« on: January 15, 2005, 08:22:35 PM »
I'm getting a new computer and need to know, How do I transfer my old computer stuff on to the new computer.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Transfering old computer to new computer
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 08:24:02 PM »
What kind of stuff? Word documents and such? Also, do you have a CD Bruner? Or a a flash memory stick? Let us know...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Holly Longland

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 08:29:46 PM »
No..I don't have any cd just floppy..You probably already answered my question though..lol I'll need to take it in to the computer guy huh? lol
My computer is so old...I mean I have had it for 7 years and cant even add anymore memory to it..IT'S OLD (outdated) I just have all my stuff like icons on the front desktop and favorites and address for email etc...nothing really important

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 08:32:05 PM »
Well.... Some things such as favorite websites, and E-Mail, etc. Has all of that stuff saved on your internet service provider's server. You MAY not need to save it.... Also, if these "icons" are shortcuts, you will need the big files that they redirect you to....

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Holle Longland

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 08:34:20 PM »
Flame!! I don't understand...You mean I would call verizon and tell them to add it to my new computer?
I thought I had to download everything on a cd and then start my new computer up and put the cd in there and it goes on it?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 08:38:16 PM »
Not exactly.... Let me explain.... When you add/delete things from your favorites list, Verizon knows of these changes, and saves it to their server. They do this so that you can use your favorites from any computer... So, if you switch computers, you should not have any trouble.... Are you using MSN to surf the web, or Internet Explorer?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 08:43:22 PM »
I have Verizon DSL, and I use MSN Premium, and I know that it saves my favorites on teh Verizon server, so that I can access my favorites from anywhere...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Holle

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 08:43:58 PM »
Well...when I'm at work and go to my email it does not have my address in there..I had to add them again..and my favorite are not on that computer either...So what you are saying is for me to call verizon and tell them that I'm getting a new one and for them to add it to my new puter?

holle

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 08:49:08 PM »
Plus..I don't get dsl out here...and I only use verizon..I don't use msn..do you pay for msn?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 09:04:30 PM »
Well.... No... It came with my DSL.... Now, becuase you are using Internet Explorer, the favorites areprobably not being saved... You can always export the favorites over to the floppy disk... E-Mail is another thing.... Now you know why people don't switch computers very often.... lol

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Holle

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 09:09:14 PM »
Yes I know...But my computer is so tired and very slow..friends says: geez..it take so long for your pages to come up..anyway yeah I'll probably have to pay to take it in and have the computer guy change it all over to the new one huh!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 07:38:17 AM »
You can, and it might only cost $30.00 .... If youREALLY want to take it to the store, take it. Just have the people there put all of your information onto a CD for you. You'll be set.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Holle

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 09:02:21 AM »
Flame...My computer is so old and outdated that it won't even read ANY CD's...I have floppy too and it seems to do great...Do you have an idea how I could do it at home?
I will be keeping this web site handy on my new computer cause I really find it helpful ok
Also what do you think about DELL computers..

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 09:08:49 AM »
Well.... If you did take the computer nto the store, the poeple there connect your hard disk cables into some machine... That machine makes a CD of everything... Also, Dell computers are GREAT! I'm going to buy one myself this summer! Also, if you have enough floppy disks, then yes... I guess you could use them, but I'm not really sure about how to save your E-Mails and Favorites onto those, to be honest....

[glb]Flame[/glb]

holle

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 09:22:53 AM »
Ok...you talked me into taking it in...Theres a small computer store her in town and the guy is a nice guy..so I will talk to him...I got a great deal from DELL..$442.00 no shipping charge for a 2400 Desktop..do you want me to tell you everything it comes with?
The guy told me shipping would be $60.00 and I said..can you call your supervisior and ask him to not charge the shipping..He said; I can but I know what he will say..He comes back on the phone and sayswell; He says we can't do that..so I said well..I guess I could wait a couple months and then afford it..as I was talking he said oh my...I'm adding everything up and the shipping charge isn't coming up so you will not get the shipping charge..LOL
Cool huh
Now are you interested in what it comes  with? Let me know

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 12:36:53 PM »
Sure! Give us the specs.!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 01:21:53 PM »
    Holle Longland.......I've another possible suggestion .....
    When you get your new pc .......and its up and running .....simply remove the hard drive from your old one and install it in the new one as a slave ..........then you could transfer all the data......( not the operating system ) to the new machines hard drive and then wipe the old hard drive clean ........format it and you would have a nice clean empty hard drive .

This is a simple operation.........might take 1/2 hour to make the switch......
    Then you could leave it in your new pc or put it back in the old one .....

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Holle

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 09:32:42 PM »
    Geez..That does sound simple, but I have no idea waht the pc looks like...And I would be affraid that my old pc would harm my new computer...Its real bad..runs so slow and does funny things sometimes..
    Thats probably what the computer tech does...huh
    One more question..is it better to leave the computer on all night or shut it down or just shut down the monitor?
    Thank you very much for all the posts!