Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: In XP, how to drag (copy) a folder without changing any creation dates?  (Read 2672 times)

Bobhenry

As backup I want to copy a folder from my C disk to my D disk wittout chnging any creation dates.

When I drag a folder from disk C to Disk D (and select "copy"), that folder and all  sub- folders get 
their creation dates reset to the current date.  The file dates are OK.

Is there a way to do this in XP?

A previous reply to my post on this subject suggested using "XCOPY /K". This sounds like getting
into DOS which I would like to avoid, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

husky88

Re: In XP, how to drag (copy) a folder without changing any creation dates?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 11:00:21 PM »
I don't know if there is another method, but maybe this might help.
The command prompt is not so scary.

Just click Start>Run type "cmd" and press enter (no quotes).

Let's say we want to move the folder called "Pink Cat".
First we have to tell the computer where to move the files. So let's put them in C:\Documents and Settings.
Type
cd "C:\Documents and Settings"
This command should change what it shows you next. It should show you "C:\Documents and Settings". You MUST use the quotes in this case.

Next let's tell him what to move. Let's assume the folder you want to move is in D:\My Files
Type
xcopy "D:\My Files\Pink Cat" /e
Now it copied the files to the new location. Notice the SPACE before the letter e. You MUST also use the quotes in this case.

You can try to experiment with an empty folder you created just to see how it works to copy them. You are not risking to lose any data like this.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: In XP, how to drag (copy) a folder without changing any creation dates?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:17:52 AM »
I don't know if there is another method, but maybe this might help.
The command prompt is not so scary.

Just click Start>Run type "cmd" and press enter (no quotes).

Let's say we want to move the folder called "Pink Cat".
First we have to tell the computer where to move the files. So let's put them in C:\Documents and Settings.
Type
cd "C:\Documents and Settings"
This command should change what it shows you next. It should show you "C:\Documents and Settings". You MUST use the quotes in this case.

Next let's tell him what to move. Let's assume the folder you want to move is in D:\My Files
Type
xcopy "D:\My Files\Pink Cat" /e
Now it copied the files to the new location. Notice the SPACE before the letter e. You MUST also use the quotes in this case.

You can try to experiment with an empty folder you created just to see how it works to copy them. You are not risking to lose any data like this.

Please re-read his post...this advice has nothing to do with retaining the file dates...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "