Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compatability of Windows XP and Canon Multipass C5500  (Read 2301 times)

Bonita

Compatability of Windows XP and Canon Multipass C5500
« on: February 17, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »
Windows updates seem to be interferring with my Windows XP restarting the Canon Multipass C5500 when I reboot my computer.  The message is "Failed to start Multipass status monitor. Please restart and try again".  It never restarts.  This has been going on for 3 to 4 months.  Using System Restore no longer solves the problem.
I have reinstalled the drivers from a disc and also from the Canon website but it still won't work.  Is there a way around this issue to get it to work?  Thanks for any help you can give me.  I am also working with Dell Technical Support and he too is  having problems.
Bonita

Dias de verano

Re: Compatability of Windows XP and Canon Multipass C5500
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
Canon have acknowledged a problem and suggested a workaround which may help. Even then you may have to repeatedly restart the MPService.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OSCompatibilitySupportAct&keycode=windr&fcategoryid=238&modelid=6999

If your antivirus is in the "reproducible" list, this may be the problem.

Although the MultiPASS C530, C560, C3500 and C5500 Desktop Manager versions are compatible with Windows XP, an issue has been found that may occur after updating to Windows XP SP2.  Please read the details below.

Problem:

After updating Windows XP to Service Pack 2 and restarting the computer, the following message appears:

After clicking [OK] to the above message, this message may appear:

Cause:

It has been determined that the above issue will occur when specific virus protection programs are installed on a Windows XP computer updated to SP2.

Canon has tested with the following manufacturers' virus protection programs.  Please review this list to see if your program is listed.

Reproducible:

McAfee, Computer Associates, Panda Software, Trend Micro

Note: This issue may not be restricted to the above list.

Not reproducible:

Symantec, F-secure

Work-around:
Open Services and Applications to manually restart MPService in Services applet.  You must restart MPService prior to printing, scanning or PC Faxing.  You may need to restart MPService more than once while your computer is on as MPService will shut down approximately after 10 to 30 minutes.

To restart MPService:

1. Click Start.
   2. Right-click on My Computer.
   3. Select Manage.
   4. Click the plus (+) next to Services and Applications.
   5. Select Services.
   6. On the right-hand pane, right-click MPService and select Start.
   7. Now, attempt your print, scan or PC Fax function.