Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring RAM  (Read 1772 times)

gamerx365

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Transferring RAM
« on: February 19, 2008, 07:13:08 PM »
My old computer has died a while ago as some of you know (where i got my 6GB HDD) and my current is pretty slow at times. I was thinking about taking my momory out of my old one to put in my current for more speed. I have no idea how to do this, so i would need step by step directions for removing it from the old computer and installing it into the new one. I'm not much of a hardware person so I have no idea what I'm doing.

t_blake07

Apprentice
    Re: Transferring RAM
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:16:16 PM »
    More than likely, its not going to be as easy as: taking out the current RAM and swapping it with the RAM from the old PC.
    But then again, you never know.

First you have to identify the type of RAM in current PC, making sure it matches what you want to swap it with.
    This could be... DDR, DDR2, DDR3, etc. You can go to crucial.com to find out what you have.

homer

Expert
      Re: Transferring RAM
      « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:40:15 PM »
      as what t_blake07 has said, you will need to know what type of RAM your new comp supports, what type of RAM is already installed, and what type of RAM you are installing (DDR, DDR2, memory speed, etc.)

take note, if you add, for example, DDR2 400 to your computer that already has DDR2 800 installed,  the DDR2 800 will be limited to 400. you will have more RAM, but it will be slower.