Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS HELP!!!!  (Read 4186 times)

dukedurl

Topic Starter

Rookie

BIOS HELP!!!!
    « on: February 25, 2008, 01:40:41 AM »
    Hi. I am having some difficulties with my bios on my computer.  I have a MSI 945GM4 Board with a Intel Duo Core 2 2.13 ghz processor with a 6420 chipset.  The problem I am having is accessing the bios.  I press the delete key where I am prompted to when starting my computer but nothing happens.  I have been told that If I go in the bios I can play around with when my second core starts and I believe that this second core is not running well at all.  I am trying to play The Elder Scrolls Oblivion on my computer which should play fully but is quite choppy.  I have a 500 dollar video card so the graphics are not the problem and also 2 gig of ram. So I guess I have a few questions.  The first is how can I access my bios? Secondly, Is it true that I can toy around with the duo core to make it more effective? And finally what is the difference between an Intel Pentium 4 and a Duo Core processor. The game specifically says on the back that the recommended is 3.0 ghz Intel Pentium 4, but I thought a Duo core would outmatch that? Any help, advice, or comments for a "noob" of the bios would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks

Dukedurl

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: BIOS HELP!!!!
      « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:54:57 AM »
      The key to get into the BIOS are differnt for evey pc.  Yes, it is possible but I wont recommend it.  A Duo Core processor can process more data since its setup to have  two processor instead of one.  Your propbably have gone beyond the game limits.  Have you tried and see if theres an update patch or code for the game?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

tk101

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:16:03 AM »
        If you believe your CPU is running slow or incorrectly you can check in device manager or download and run Intel® Processor Identification Utility, it should identify the CPU and if its clocked correctly, above or bellow

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1881&lang=eng 

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:31:04 AM »
        dual core processors can outperform faster single core cpus such as Pentium 4 if the code is written for 2 cores. Otherwise, they can be slower. Many games are not written for dual core.

Comments about the game with 1.8 -.0 GHz core duos...

turn off AA & HDRor Bloom. With very low grass and few shadows you should be able to do it.

without decent computer with high specs you won’t be able to enjoy it.
        I have Intel Core 2 Duo with 1,83 Ghz, 1024 of Ram and nVidia 7600 supporting 256 MB of graphics memory and game works fine.

dukedurl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:11:35 AM »
          Alright thanks guys!!! This is what I have discovered form the intel website and the download that "tk101" suggested:

Expected 2.13ghz at 1066 mhz

Duocore1 2.13ghz at 1066mhz
          Duocore2 2.13ghz at 1066mhz

So this doesnt seem to be the problem... but after posting this this thread in another place of the forum I have discovered my keyboard doesnt activate until exactly right after I am prompted to press delete to enter the bios... *censored*!!! So exactly what am I suppose to do now if I cant get into my bios if my keyboard doesn't turn on!!! HELP!!!

Thanks

Dukedurl     

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »
          Buy a PS2 keyboard...everyone shold have one in the closet just for times like this...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dukedurl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:26 AM »
            So I plug the ps/2 keyboard and mouse in no problem and restart my computer.  When the prompt screen appears I checked the keyboard and sure enough it turns on unlike my usb.  So I pressed the delete key and then... asdhfkjdhfkjakjhfjkasd.  I get a screen for around half a second with a MSI Bios logo in the top left corner and a whole bunch of text but I can't read it because it flashes so quickly.  The computer goes to the windows login screen as usual afterwards.  If I dont press the delete key at the prompt then I dont get the screen so I know 100% its not the keyboard. So what the heck am I suppose to do now?

Thanks

Dukedurl

Dias de verano

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »
            You're supposed to hold down the delete key, not press it for a moment. Did you do that?

dukedurl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:18:42 AM »
              I restarted my computer 15 times and pushed it, held it, jammed it, squeezed it, almost even took a hammer to it... kept on getting the same screen over and over.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 05:39:12 PM »
              http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,52042.msg327103.html#msg327103

This is a perfect example of how issues can get confusing by posting the same thing in more than one Thread.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

maxtigas

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »
                try pressing F2 instead of delete key when you access bios