Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer can't find installed printer  (Read 4368 times)

udhetari

Computer can't find installed printer
« on: February 20, 2008, 01:56:53 AM »
I don't know if this is a driver problem or a network problem - hope I'm on the right forum.

I installed a network printer (HP C4380) before Christmas.  The printer worked fine, but the installation caused a few problems.  The automatic start-up was eating up CPU space - I changed to manual start-up in the services folder, and this was resolved.  But the computer remains much slower than it was before, and I often get an error message (Device I/O, program not responding) when logging off.

About three weeks ago there was a problem with my ISP, and the router was reset.  Since then my desktop, which I used to install the printer, cannot find the printer.  The software is still there, but the printer doesn't appear on the list of available printers, and the Windows Wizard can't find it.

My laptop still recognizes and uses the printer with no problem, though I sometimes get the same Device I/O error message.

Desktop info:  Dell, Windows XP SP2, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB storage
Laptop info:  Samsung, Windows XP SP2, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB storage

Can you suggest a solution?  I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, because I am afraid of interfering with the laptop connection, and I need my printer almost daily for work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

randaklin

Re: Computer can't find installed printer
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:50:46 PM »
    First I would uninstall reboot and reinstall the printer drivers on the desktop first (make sure the printer is not connected when installing drivers – this usually works 90% of the times). If that doesn’t work try the troubleshooting steps in this link. Hope this helps.

HP All-in-One Products -  Troubleshooting USB Chipset Issues
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=buu01860&lc=en&cc=sg&dlc=en&product=3221646&lang=en#N331