Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A virus disables regedit.exe and system restore and most .exe files. HELP!  (Read 3329 times)

TZB

I tried to install Acrobat Reader but it gave me an error message saying "Corrupted Checksum" or "Invalid Checksum", something like that. From that point the way I used to log in to computer changed automatically. I used the xp welcome screen to allow users to click on their usernames to log in, but it changed to the conventional login interface in which each user has to type his/her username to login. Moreover, the the colour of background when login form appears is black when it should have been blue by default.

As a solution to this problem, I tried to delete all the keys related to Acrobat Reader but regedit did not run (although I am the system administrator of my PC). Then I tried to restore my PC to an earlier date. System restore didn't open as well.

As the last try, I formatted my C drive and reinstalled windows xp. It worked fine. But again I tried to install Acrobat Reader and it gave the same checksum error and everything that I've mentioned above repeated. However, I reformatted harddrive once more and tried to install Acrobat Reader again and then again I faced the same problem. Now I am not going to do anything prior to having some knowledge about what's actually going on in my PC.

I don't know what to do now. Someone please help.

Thanks.

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: A virus disables regedit.exe and system restore and most .exe files. HELP!
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:21:02 PM »
    Did you redownload Acrobat Reader between install or did you reinstall from the same file each time?
    Do you have up to date antispyware/antivirus software installed?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

elxr06

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »
    well, go to filehippo.com, download the adobe acrobat reader (latest version your computer can handle) and then SAVE IT TO SOMEWHERE ELSE (like a flash drive, not on your harddrive)

Then run the program directly from the new location. Does it work now?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:14:47 PM »
    Forget about that behemoth, Adobe Reader. Get FoxIt: http://filehippo.com/download_foxit/. It's much smaller, faster, and does very same thing.

elxr06

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »
    or another other pdf reader. There are other ones too that read pdf files just ok.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »
    Sounds like a case of "if it hurts, don't do it".

But seriously, if it gives you a checksum error there must be something wrong with the
    installer. probably screwed up and changed the associated of executables.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

elxr06

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:26:26 PM »
    go to filehippo.com and download the file. I have been doing that for a long time and no problem so far. It is always updated with latest versions of the software(s) that many people use as well as all previous versions if you like to use older versions.