Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SCSI hard drive not recognized  (Read 2111 times)

jadiknight

Topic Starter

Starter

SCSI hard drive not recognized
    « on: February 21, 2008, 02:28:56 AM »
    Hi, I just got a computer, a used Sony Vaio, but without any hard drives. I tried to install my hard drive in it, which is a scsi drive with a Tekram controller. The motherboard recognizes the controller as a mass storage controller (same as my old computer), but fails to detect the drive as a bootable one. I even tried to change the boot sequence in the bios to scsi devive, and still nothing. It won't even go through the scsi device count that recognizes that the drive is connected to the controller.

Any suggestions?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: SCSI hard drive not recognized
      « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:52:15 AM »
      Are the controller and hard drive terminated on different buses /  have you tried changing the terminator connection on the hard drive to a different bus / when the system boots do you get a an option-screen from the controller card to configure both the controller and hard drive?

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:49:21 AM »
      And even though it was recognised did you install the native drivers for the card ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jadiknight

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
        Thanks for teh replies.

I do not believe it is improperly terminated, because it works just fine on my computer, and has worked on other computers before. No option screen comes up at all during boot.

I have not installed native drivers, partly becasue it has always worked in the past, and partly because I'm not sure how to. Do I download them from Tekram, then put in the XP Cd, and press F6 (or whatever it is) to install 3rd party scsi, and then put in a cd with the driver burnt on it?