Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Notification Area Envelope w/ Junk E-Mail  (Read 3327 times)

sublime

Outlook Notification Area Envelope w/ Junk E-Mail
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:17:46 AM »
Is there a way to have the notification area envelope that Outlook places for new incoming mail NOT be shown when all that has arrived is Junk E-Mail? My Junk e-mail folder that is built into Outlook 2007 works great.  Filters almost all the junk perfectly, but because of that envelope it places by the clock, I am constantly checking and deleting spam all day long.  I waste a lot of time doing this, but there is no way to know if you have real mail in the Inbox without actually opening up outlook.

I wrote a macro to mark all mail in the Junk E-mail folder a "read" whenever something new arrives, but that does not remove the notification area envelope.

I have searched the web far and wide to no avail.  With the ubuquity of Outlook in the work place I wonder how many million if not billions of dollars of lost productivity this causes yearly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Outlook Notification Area Envelope w/ Junk E-Mail
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 04:31:22 PM »
I'm using Outlook 2003 but I'll mention something that seems relevant.  If I open Tools, Options, and click on the button named Junk E-mail, the Options tab of that panel has a checkbox for "Permanently delete suspected junk e-mail instead of moving it to the Junk E-mail folder".  I haven't tested how enabling that feature affects Outlook's behavior but I'm wondering whether it would stop Outlook from putting notification in the tray.  Seems logical but, again, I haven't tested it.

sublime

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:31:37 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply.  I can almost guarantee that would work.  I cannot do this though because of the rare "good" email that gets placed in Junk by accident.  I need to maintain the ability to once a day quickly scan the junk email before deleting it.

sublime

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »
bump

any ideas? I can program the heck out of a macro..just don't know which direction someone might be able to lead me in that would be productive.