Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: was my browser hijacked?  (Read 4338 times)

bill30955

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Always Learning
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    was my browser hijacked?
    « on: April 09, 2004, 06:46:01 AM »
    hello forum: I had AOL free trial-offered to upgrade me to IE 6.0-I downloaded it thru AOL-now AOL logo is everywhere when I use IE on my Netzero ISP-can I get back to using IE without all the AOL trimmings?-is it slowing me down thru AOL? I am new to this and will have to be very careful-can anyone help? Thank you
    Bill

merlin

Re: was my browser hijacked?
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

bill30955

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Always Learning
      « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 07:27:08 AM »
      Merlin: Thanks for the reply. I tried the link but got a dead end. Also went to MSN and downloaded IE 6.0 again. AOL still appears on IE browser. If I cancel AOL can I uninstall IE 6.0 and then reload it from a disk? I am afraid that AOL will still control my browser when I use my Net Zero ISP! I feel trapped here since I need IE for my Net Zero Account. Thanks Again
      Bill

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 02:42:01 AM »
        Hi Bill ,
        Unfortunately AOL is bad for that.....I had a situation about a yer or so ago ,where I received a cd from our bank .....like a fool I dropped it in the cd tray and carried on working ......It took over my puter......changed everything.......I spent hours trying to purge it. It was all through the registry , changed my dial up accounts , in short took over. I finally got fed up and reformatted my machine......that fixed it .......I steer clear of AOL.....Thats why there is an ongoing class action suit against them at the present ( I believe) If your patient , you may be able to manually purge it but the quickest and easiest would be to reformat.
        I feel sorry for you.......been there done that

dl65   ???
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

bill30955

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Always Learning
          « Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 04:02:40 PM »
          Hello dl65: Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm stuck with it unless AOL can remove it. Whatever, I got the machine for peanuts and put in extended memory(163mb)for $25.00 got NetZero for $10/month and AOL so far has given me 4 months of 7.0 for nothing.They also offered me full service for $17.00/mo. after the trial period. So I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It's just the idea of the intrusion. And no disclosure up front. Live and learn. Also can I switch to another browser for my NetZero or is IE the only browser that they use?   Thanks Again!
          Bill

natesneat2000

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 07:12:41 PM »
          You could likely use any broser. Mozilla Firefox is a great, free, open-source browser with lots of nice featutres like tabbed browsing (I use and love it):
          http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
          Let us know if you like it! Sorry about AOL... agreed, steer clear.

bill30955

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Always Learning
            « Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 06:19:18 PM »
            Nate: Thanks for your suggestion. Next month when I must decide to keep or cancel AOL I will be looking at alternatives. I may just stay with Netzero and change browsers.
            Bill

merlin

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 01:36:28 PM »
            aol remove instructions>http://support.imaginenet.net/general/general_aol.htm  and to make sure of it download system mechanic from www.iolo.com

bill30955

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Always Learning
              « Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 03:48:10 AM »
              Merlin: Thanks again. I put AOL uninstall link in Favorites for when the day comes. Also took Nate's advice and loaded Mozilla Firefox(~6.2mbs). Seems to work fine
              except no Auto-Hide on Menu Bar. I like that feature.

Nate: Thanks again. I'll probably keep Firefox. :)
              Bill