Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor stopped working  (Read 2802 times)

morgile

Monitor stopped working
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:07:27 PM »
 >:(

Hi all.  Just moved from NC to SC (not very far at all).  My PC (Don't laugh) is an E-machines with AMD sempron 1.49 Ghz processor, 1GB ram, Nvidea G-force 6100 (256 MB Graphics card).

All was well until I unpacked and set up at my new house.  When I go to boot up, the monitor will not come on.  The flashing standby mode light stays flashing. 

I have another new PC as well.  The Emachines monitor works on the other PC, and the other PC monitor doesn't work on the emachines. to make that less complicated, the monitor is not the issue.  two monitors work on one PC, neither of them work on the emachines.

I won't swear to it, but I believe that the PC would normally beep ONE TIME when I start up normally.  It's not beeping now.  But the fan comes on, and the processor and HDD are clicking and working like normal.

The graphix card is onboard, and when opening the case, all seems well and snug.  I've tried re-seating the ram chips (2x 512) to no avail.  I just now took out the lithium battery to reset the CMOS, and I'm waiting for the charge to die down b4 I try again.

ANy thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

morgile

Re: Monitor stopped working
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »
Another tid-bit that I found interesting:

When I go to plug my power back into the PC, it begins to start up automatically.  I know FOR A FACT that it never did this before.  Usually whenever I would plug in the power cable, nothing would happen until I pressed the power button.

I tried removing the lithium battery from the mobo for about 15 minutes, and re-booted.  NOTHING.  I'm beginning to worry that the integrated vid-card is fried, but it's just too strange--the *censored* PC was working FINE last WEEK.  I'm sure it didn't get jogged around too much on the trip down here--but even if it did, the graphix card is snug and in good shape.

This is my first time on these forums, but are you all noticing a horrible RASH in people with similar problems to this??? on the first page of this forum I found 4 or 5 other people with a monitor not responding to POST issues.

morgile

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »
Hate to bump a thread (not sure if against the EULA, SOrry).  But If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear it...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:59:01 PM »
If you have re-seated the RAM andf any additional add-on cards and it still won't post i would borrow a working PSU and swap it in there to see if it's the culprit.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »
bezzlo
You need to start your own topic.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 06:55:25 PM »
    Take it to another topic.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 07:06:57 PM »
    Excuse me????

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 09:31:21 PM »
    HOW ABOUT IF YOUR TOPIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MONITOR STOPPED WORKING
    THEN SHUT THE **** UP!! ;D
    bezzlo, this is a public warning.

You are heading for a world of hurt. Already, you have broken 2 rules. Flaming other members, and swearing with limited censorship, (as well as deliberately not starting your own topic)

You need to start your own topic to ask a question, go to the appropriate board, and click at the top of that board.
    An index of the board is found here:
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php

Please do not swear on this forum. Our audience includes all ages and walks of life.
    Flaming other members is also against the rules. (Flaming includes acting in vulgar behavior)

KnowItAll

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 09:50:18 PM »
    let them do what they want u aint ****
    « Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:25:45 AM by Calum »