Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound  (Read 1961 times)

notme

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Sound
    « on: February 24, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »
    Another sound thread - one of many.

Anyway, my sound doesn't seem to be working. My headphones broke a week ago (just before I went on holiday) so I threw them out just before I left. I have now come back and thought it wouldn't be a problem as I have a spare set and some speakers. Anyway I plug my speakers in, restart the computer and you guessed it - no sound.

I am on Windows XP. Things that I have changed since? I have turned off an annoying message that beeps everytime my computer turns on (CPU Fan Speed warning). The last pair was a USB head set pair (the more expensive ones that break just as quick) if that makes a difference. Some files play with no sound others I get the "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the is a problem with your sound device blah blah blah"

The same thing with the headset as the speakers.

UPDATE: I think for some reason I don't have drivers for my soundcard anymore. I think it is inbuilt into my motherboard so I guess I just get drivers for that?  ???

UPDATE: And I have sound. It was the drivers im not sure why when I took my mic away I lost them or whatever  ??? but I have sound now.
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:13:08 AM by notme »