Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error noise on shut down  (Read 3847 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Error noise on shut down
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »
You have to be Brave no matter what the age of the machine ! !

;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Error noise on shut down
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 10:26:58 AM »
But especially so when you have no warranty, not even a wisp of a guarantee anything will work, and the strangest feeling you left a screw in there somewhere.....

I've learned to be careful with new stuff with this old computer. But I've had it so long, I've grown attached to it. Why, I feel almost as if I nursed it myself, from a slightly-more-useful-than-a-paper-weight with a 2GB HD and 32 MB of Ram and an ATI Rage Pro, to a more than usable (for me, anyway), 320GB HD 512 MB of Ram (I should reduce this to 256MB however, my chipset cannot cache more then 256MB, but some goof gave me over 50 128MB and 256MB SDRAM DIMM's, and I just HAD to max it out!) and a 256MB ATI Radeon 9250. I almost felt proud the first time the overheat siren went off! 80 degrees celsius! Even a NEW computer doesn't get that hot. Only happens in the summer though...)

In fact, now that I think about it, I could have simply bought a totally new computer for the price I bought all the upgrades...

I still regularly use a IBM Thinkpad 755CDV laptop, with 8MB of RAM, and a shot power supply, not to mention a teensy hard drive (1.5GB, always seem to have to erase something to add something...) running PC-DOS 2000 and Windows 3.1.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.