Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Really quick fix - margins  (Read 4210 times)

ryanfetus

Really quick fix - margins
« on: February 25, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
Hey there. I'm sure this problem seems really miniscule and unimportant, but this problem with my margins has been bugging the crap out of me. Mostly because I've tried relentlessly to solve it, but I must be searching in all the wrong settings tabs. I'm running Word 2003 and the point at which you begin typing begins at the top of the page, rather than leaving space. Here's a picture of my problem.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg268/ryanfetus/help.jpg

Once again, I'm sure this problem is really dumb to you all, but I'd really appreciate some help with this. Sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks a ton guys!

Yitzach

Rookie

Re: Really quick fix - margins
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:10:41 PM »
    That is a feature of the program. It removes extra unimportant white space like top and bottom margins and the white space after a page break. I don't like it myself until a page break takes out a large portion of the page.
    Hover your mouse around the top of the page until you see it change as demonstrated in the attached picture. Double click. That should fix that problem. I had to put the mouse back in myself; it won't look exactly like that. This is with Word 2007, but it is the same thing.

[file cleanup - saving space - attachment deleted by admin]
    Grace and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ unto you. - Paul the Apostle

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:34:28 PM »
    Ryanfetus - Welcome to the CH forums.

I don't use Word but am almost sure that by clicking on the Format tab at the top of the screen you will find you can set the margins to whatever.   Seem to remember that Ctrl+F8 also opened the pop-up window for setting margins.

If I've gotten it wrong I apologize in advance.

Good luck.
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

ryanfetus

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:30:51 PM »
    Wow, that was rediculously simple, i fixed it with a single click. That was bugging the crap out of me!! Thanks a ton for your help. ;D

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »
    You're welcome - thanks for coming back at us to advise of your success..
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:23:43 AM »
    Hi Ryan

I know you have resolved your problem, but I was wondering why I don't see the left side margin selector on yours? is it stuck right at the top?

It's much easier to just click on the vertical margin slider (works the same way as the horizontal one):

As you can see, when I hover the mouse over the part on the left where the shaded area meets the white area, the cursor changes into arrows to allow me to manually adjust it up/down.

Yitzach

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 11:44:42 PM »
      The problem was hiding white space, not the margins.
      Grace and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ unto you. - Paul the Apostle

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »
      The problem was hiding white space, not the margins.

Excuse me, but the 'white space' is created by the margin markers.

Hey there. I'm sure this problem seems really miniscule and unimportant, but this problem with my margins has been bugging the crap out of me.

Yitzach

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 12:55:17 AM »
        Yes, but he wanted to see the white space, not possible to make it appear with a single click. Margin adjustment is a click and drag. His attached picture was that of an arrow pointing to a cursor really close to the top edge without white space. And I'm pretty sure that the hiding white space is not in any of the tabs, else it is not in the obvious locations because the problem was not properly defined in his head. Problem being no margins, not hiding white space.
        I will say no more on the subject as the solution has been found, the problem was marginal and unimportant, and this is probably filling his inbox up with unwanted mail.
        Whoever can, please lock this thread as no more can be or should be said.