Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard fan  (Read 1727 times)

Tang

Topic Starter

Motherboard fan
    « on: March 02, 2008, 11:20:16 PM »
    Hey guys

My computer started making an odd noise one day, I looked inside and noticed that the fan on the MB was running slow.   I shut the computer off and dusted it out, but it still ran slow.     I found this image on the internet which is the exact fan i have.....

Is it possible to repair this?  or will it have to be replaced, if so how much does one usually cost?

Also, as i was looking for images I saw the same fan removed and it looked like it had glue on the bottom.   Will I be able to repair it myself, or will I have to take it into a shop and get it fixed?

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Motherboard fan
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »
    you are better off replacing. Fans are generally inexpensive. Call you local computer shop for prices. The stuff on the bottom that looks like glue is on every heatsink and helps to draw heat away from your processor.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

chad

Intermediate
    • Woo Woo
      Re: Motherboard fan
      « Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:14:02 AM »
      definitely easy to replace and cheap... if you want a quick fix, sometimes a tiny drop of quality bike oil or sewing machine oil fixes the problem for a few months... but if it's been removed and the heatsink 'glue' damaged, you're probably best off buying a new one.