Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New DVD ROM drive problems  (Read 2560 times)

cheesybeans414

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

New DVD ROM drive problems
    « on: February 26, 2008, 06:04:44 AM »
    My brother built me a computer and the DVD drive was working fine, until some screws came loose and now it doesn't work. I've brought a new DVD drive and plugged it in, it reads the disk and it appears on My Computer but it only plays the sound, there isn't any visual. It says 'Create overlay failed' and Im not sure what I need to change.

Any help?

truenorth

Guru

Re: New DVD ROM drive problems
      « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:13:01 AM »
      cheesybeans414,welcome to the CH forums.We will need much more info before an intelligent reponce can be forthcoming. IE what is the brand of the optical device?is it the only optical device in the computer? Did it ever work properly (IE BEFORE the "screws" came "loose")?What happened to the "loose" screws? Did they fall into the interior of the computer while it was turned on? How is it connected to your sound card--via ide cable or by a unique connection from the rear of the optical device to the sound card?What are the restrictions if any re the type of disks that the drive permits? Have you tried a variety of disk makes? Are the device drivers properly installed/ What is the default DVD player? What video card do you have installed? Is it configured properly? Is this a DVD ROM or is it a DVD/rw? here is a link that explains the error message you are recieving--see if it may reflect the facts about the limitations of your hardware installed in your computer http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=22049 . good luck truenorth

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »
      What happened to the "loose" screws? Did they fall into the interior of the computer while it was turned on?

:-)

cheesybeans414

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
        The DVD RW drive I originally had with the computer stopped working, and so I took the lid off and the two screws came out then, nothing went inside the computer.

I brought a new drive, assuming this was the only problem and this is a HL Storage CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive. Its the only disk drive I have on the comuter, hence the problem =S

This drive will play CDs and it will play the audio on DVDs when it plays through Media Player but when I play it through InterVideo WinDVD 8 that message comes up.  The device is connected to the motherboard through a ide cable. There weren't any device drivers with the drive, it came by itself.

Hope this information helps!

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 02:15:46 PM »
        The overlay is to do with the video display driver. Check your display settings.

Can you play DVDs with Windows Media Player?

Can you read and copy data files off DVD-ROMs?

cheesybeans414

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 04:47:46 AM »
          I altered my settings, altered the screen resolution and lowered the colour quality and neither made a difference.

The DVD only plays the sound on Media Player, theres isn't any visual. The drive reads DVDs fine and plays CDs, just can't get it to play the images.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »
            cheesybeans.what is the brand and model of your video card?truenorth

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 05:29:27 PM »
            I'd test the new DVD drive on another machine and best guess...return it as defective.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

cheesybeans414

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 04:16:05 AM »
              The drive has been tested on another machine and it works OK on that one.

I'll try and find out the make and model of the video card.

cheesybeans414

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:29:02 AM »
                The sound card is within the motherboard so unsure of the make/ model number

Dias de verano

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 06:52:01 AM »
                I am 100% sure there is nothing wrong with the DVD drive, that the problem lies somewhere else, and I strongly suspect video driver or DVD playback software.

cheesybeans414

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 08:23:20 AM »
                  OK, is there anything I can get to solve either one of the possible problems?? Is there anywhere I can get another video driver or DVD playback software??

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »
                    cheesybeans, Just be patient i think this problem will be solved without returning anything or needing to buy anything new. It is not info on the sound card we need as the problem seems exclusive to be the ability to reproduce video. So the info on the video card (which more than likely is not integrated on the motherboard) is still required. Also it is normally the case that when a new optical device is purchased one of the things it comes packaged with is some software to perform the tasks that the device is capable of. Therefore you should have a cd-r with a DVD playing function (among other things) such as "Nero,Easy CD Creator,Or something similar) What is it you got? Is it installed? If you used the drive in another computer and it worked that tends to indicate most importantly that the fault (as Dias de verano has stated ) is "somewhere else". Given that your optical drive is brand new (i assume) have you tried contacting (by telephone is preferable) the drive manufacturer to lead you through the setup process. Here are some free DVD software programs (however i rec comend you try to use the one that came with your drive) http://www.cliprex.com/ , http://www.powerdvd.com-http.com/  (this one i do use --it is available as trial version ), http://www.download.com/RealPlayer/3000-2646_4-10073040.html , http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_1_ENU.html (this one is a more direct link to the "power DVD free trial site). Again i reiterate you should try some more to solve the problem with the existing hardware/software associated with the drive before you try these other DVD programs.If your problem is with a driver more than likely another software program will not solve it. good luck and keep us posted. give us the name and model of your video card. truenorth