Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 2000 boots to "Preparing Network Connections" box , and freezes  (Read 3773 times)

gbw7591

I have a a problem with my windows 2000 getting past the blue screen with the small horizontal rectangle that says "preparing network connections". It gets to that point and no further. I have tried booting in all modes(safe, debugging, last good mode. etc). To complicate matters, my CD Rom is inoperative.  I have some things that I would like to recover but could live without. Any suggestions other than a new system would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 2000 boots to "Preparing Network Connections" box , and freezes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:58:52 PM »
If you are looking to recover data you want to hook up your hard drive jumpered as slave into a working system where you can copy/burn what you need to save...
If you are looking to repair Win2k you should still follow the steps above first however you will need a working CD/DVD drive to do so...

Let us know.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gbw7591

Re: Windows 2000 boots to "Preparing Network Connections" box , and freezes
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 06:48:38 PM »
Maud' Dib,
Thank you for the response. I am not what you would call "computer literate", so I really do value your input. How would I accomplish this? Would a laptop work with an operating CD/ROM? My main concern is recovering some data and then upgrading my system. I'm looking at an E machine with Vista Premium, or an Acer with XP Professional. Both machines have the same bells and whistles, Acers $50 more. It is for basic home use with some business being conducted from home. What would you recommend? I really do appreciate your time.
Thanks,
Gary