Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Scratch Disk Full  (Read 3717 times)

Jamie Lynn

Scratch Disk Full
« on: December 13, 2004, 08:15:19 AM »
I'm trying to open rather large files in photoshop and I keep getting the message that my I can not open because my scratch disk is full. I don't know what that means or how to fix it. Please give me any helpful feedback you can. Thanks.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Scratch Disk Full
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 09:45:24 AM »
Please provide us with the following information.... What is your operating system? What version of Photoshop are you using? This information is needed for us to make an accurate diagnosis.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 01:45:10 PM »

cadsmarts3

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 11:37:23 AM »
Adobe is set-up so that everytime you execute a command it is stored on the harddrive as a temp file, that means opening, flattening ,anything of that sort. The only way to stop this is to restart the program to clear the scratch disk. The scratch disk is your harddrive.
The problem is that your harddrive seems to be too small. For photoshop 7 a 200 gig hard drive is recommended as a scratch disk.

It is best to have a second harddrive and use it as the scratch disk only. You can assign the scratch disk in options. I know it stinks because you loose work if you have worked a while without saving.  know how u feel.

Let me know what size harddisk you have.

cadsmarts3

GIRob69

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 09:12:13 PM »
I don't have an UNINSTALL for Photoshop 7. It is not listed in CONTROL PANEL/ADD or REMOVE software. How can I remove this program. I don't want it if it is going to take up that much room, and I think it is taxing my page file causing my Audio & video to skip. Your help is greatly needed and appreciated

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 10:17:15 PM »
    Jamie Lynn.....Whoa , whoa , whoa .....First of all try this reboot your pc ..........when it loads open photoshop and open a jpg.......not huge ...maybe 300-500 kb ....
    see if you get the error .
    How big is the image your trying to open ?
    As far as removing Photoshop......Do you have the install disk ...because PS is a very expensive program.
    What O/S are you using ? How much ram do you have installed and how large is your hard drive .
    How much free space do you have left on the harddrive
    Let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 10:22:59 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.