Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer epilepsy  (Read 2900 times)

cougar

Computer epilepsy
« on: January 19, 2005, 12:33:48 PM »
I am at my witt's end.
ABS computer sustem, AMD 1 Giga Hz proc. 256 Meg Mem, Intel Modem 56K, XP Pro, No Other Software running.

Problem: After internet logon I am able to access 2 (not 1, not 3) sites and the system goes in what appears like a "non modem recognition" mode and my browser show "cannot find this page bla bla bla..."
I have changed over from IE to Netscape but to no avail.
I have changed from a Winsoft modem to a new hardwire modem which aleviated the 100% processor use lockup situation but Internet access is still the ongoing problem.

This computer has been back to the manufacturer more times than I have had it in my house!!!!!!

Please, please someone help me out.

P.s. Do not respond with idiotic supggestions like "are you plugged in to the phone line etc" please, the computer manufacturer has already given me enough grief.

Thank you.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Computer epilepsy
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 01:03:24 PM »
    cougar......Sorry your having problems........ So I won't bother you with any " idiotic suggestions " ( your words .)

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 01:03:49 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 01:04:32 PM »
      The other side of connection is reliable? They don't have a problem with the modem to which you connect? Or other settings?

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 01:47:07 PM »
      You didn't mention having checked for viruses.  Have you checked for viruses?  Are you sure that your ISP is functioning correctly?  Does it matter which 2 sites you visit or is it always the same 2?

cougar

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 02:44:37 PM »
      Thank you Joleen, Viking and Dl65,

The problem is website independent. It is also computer independent because my second system logs in to the same ISP over the same line. No virusses present, no spyware present.
      System functions without a hitch on all no modem related tasks such as word processing, spreadheets and/or database work.
      The system is running pretty much down to the bone as far as software is concerned.
      I have let XP "find" my modem and I have manually installed it but the result is the same.
      There are no other pieces of hardware installed.

P.s. Dl65: appologies for the poor choice of words......please chuck it up to frustration.

viking

Adviser
      • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
        « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 08:39:19 AM »
        You said that the second computer uses the same line. The same modem too?
        I don't know a good answer for your problem. But if I have to access internet and with one of the computers it works fine, than I'll make a sharing for internet (see ICS on windows 98 or XP)

cougar

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 02:27:04 PM »
        Thank you Viking,

The sharing approach is a good idea. I'll set it up with my main computer system as the log-on and the "sick one" as a network system. Again, good thinking and thank you for your contribution.