Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I delete old OS  (Read 1893 times)

Germund

Can I delete old OS
« on: March 03, 2008, 10:57:40 AM »
I have an IBM Thinkpad, Pentium 3, 260 megs RAM, 10 Gig HD  Windows 2000 Professional SP4 upgrade.

The Computer was given to me, with the OS already installed on it, and I noticed that in the directory there is a file folder for Win 98, and one for Win 2000.  The Win 98 OS doesn't seem to work when I try to boot into it, so I always use Win 2000.  Space is at a premium on that computer as I have had to switch all my data files to it as I am expecting my main computer HD to fail at any time.   

My question is, can I delete the Win 98 OS from my system without mucking up the Win 2000 system.   If I could it would gain back some space, and it would be easier than doing a complete reinstall of everything.

Thanks

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can I delete old OS
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »
Win 98 can only be deleted if you have the Win 98 cd.   If you delete Win 98 and try to rerun the Win 2000 update you will be asked to insert the Win 98 cd to verify that the update is legal.

Look for things to delete such as hotfix uninstallers and run disk cleanup to compress old files.

Your call.
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced