Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer and Web MD  (Read 18157 times)

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• I want to take a rubber axe to this computer!
    Internet Explorer and Web MD
    « on: March 03, 2008, 07:59:25 PM »
    Haseo
    You need to start your own topic.

I'm sorry my mistake.  :-[

Hello,
    I seem to have this problem with IE 5.0. I'm using Windows 98se. When I try to visit Web MD, IE closes and some of my icons next to my clock are gone, as well as my wallpaper. I tried to reinstall IE, to no avail. Since then, I have avoided visiting Web MD. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
    Thank you
    P.S. This has happened every time I visited that website for the past few months, so I don't think it was them.
    My status may say I'm online, but that don't necessarily mean I'm at the computer. Most likely, I'm asleep as I suffer from a number of health problems. Please forgive me if I take a while to reply to a post. m(_ _)m

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Internet Explorer and Web MD
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:18:11 PM »
    Try Firefox, and see, if same thing happens.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:38:14 AM »
      Hello,
      I tried FireFox three times in the past, and my internet connection was even worse than usual. I couldn't get online muchless visit any website. :(

Page loading is astronomically slow for any website I visit, at any time of day. I tried everything from clearing out the cache, cleaning out old and unused files, uninstalling unused programs and disabling startup programs. I run a virus scan every week, check for spyware and adware everyday and defrag my computer every month. Pages can take as long as 5 minutes to come up, but pictures might be missing. I do have a pop up stopper that I can disable when I need to. Nothing seems to work.  :'(
      « Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:57:24 AM by Haseo »
      My status may say I'm online, but that don't necessarily mean I'm at the computer. Most likely, I'm asleep as I suffer from a number of health problems. Please forgive me if I take a while to reply to a post. m(_ _)m

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »
      What type of internet connection do you have and who is the provider ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:16:18 PM »
      How is your computer housekeeping, and security?

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:41:29 AM »
        What type of internet connection do you have and who is the provider ? ?
        I'm using cable and the provider is Comcast.

How is your computer housekeeping, and security?

I'm using McAfee, that is provided free to comcast subscribers. Housekeeping? ??? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "how". :-\

elxr06

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:45:38 AM »
        I'm using McAfee, that is provided free to comcast subscribers. Housekeeping? ??? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "how". :-\

Houskeeping ... do you clean your registry? Do you clear out your browser? Do you use software like CCleaner? That sort of stuff...

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        « Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:32:09 AM »
        Have you previously had good performance with that computer on your broadband connection?  Was this slowdown gradual or sudden?

You're using a very old browser.  I'd definitely update IE to version 6

McAfee still supports Win 98SE?

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »
        That McAfee provided by Comcast runs in real time, or it's a scan on demand (ran manually)?

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 12:58:19 AM »
          Housekeeping ... do you clean your registry? Do you clear out your browser? Do you use software like CCleaner? That sort of stuff...

I clear out the browser whenever I remember. I'm scared of the registry. :(
          I use Fix-it utilities Professional 6. I can't afford to upgrade right now.   :'(           

Quote from: soybean link=topic=52556.msg329926#msg329926
          date=1204828329
          Have you previously had good performance with that computer on your broadband connection?  Was this slowdown gradual or sudden?

You're using a very old browser.  I'd definitely update IE to version 6

McAfee still supports Win 98SE?

As far as I saw it, the slowdown was sudden. The connection on this computer was fine before then. This happened in May a few years back.
          McAfee sends offers to upgrade, but I can't do so with this OS.

I seem to have this problem with IE 5.0.
          I double checked my IE version, and it is version 6. Sorry, my mistake. :-[

That McAfee provided by Comcast runs in real time, or it's a scan on demand (ran manually)?

I think you can set it to either one, but I leave mine on real time. I hate it though, as it slows down my already slow connection.  >:(

I'm sorry my reply is late. Please refer to my Signature for explanation.
          m(_ _)m
          « Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:19:37 AM by Haseo »

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 09:20:42 AM »
          Download HijackThis:
          http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hijackthis.html
          and post its log.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:42:58 AM »
            Hello Broni,
            Here is the log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
            Scan saved at 12:32:41 PM, on 03/08/2008
            Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
            MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
            Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCSHLD9X.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\OASCLNT.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFTRAY.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCTSKSHD.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\MPS\MSCIFAPP.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\SCANSOFT\OMNIPAGESE4.0\OPWARESE4.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INTERNAT.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFAGENT.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
            R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by AT&T WorldNet Service
            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = file://C:\PROGRA~1\PRIMED~1\PRIMED~1.PAC
            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = sas.ne2.attbb.net:8000
            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = ;localhost;*.ne2.attbb.net
            R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1C988BA8-1BCD-4F2A-9876-96B1F2D89A77} - (no file)
            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E434D3C7-A673-4100-8140-79C020945017} - (no file)
            O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - (no file)
            O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\MPS\MCBRHLPR.DLL
            O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\MPS\POPUPKILLER.DLL
            O3 - Toolbar: Ad Guard - {CE0A34D3-C30F-4F3D-B0D3-9B936EDFBD91} - C:\Program Files\\AdGuard\AdGuard.dll
            O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
            O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFEXE] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Personal Firewall\MPFTray.exe"
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCTskShd] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mctskshd.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\MPS\mscifapp.exe /embedding
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KodakCCS] c:\windows\System32\Drivers\KodakCCS.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE4] "c:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe"
            O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McShld9x] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcshld9x.exe
            O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
            O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
            O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
            O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
            O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
            O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
            O16 - DPF: {9A57B18E-2F5D-11D5-8997-00104BD12D94} (compid Class) - http://support.gateway.com/support/serialharvest/gwCID.CAB
            O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
            O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/4,0,0,101/mcinsctl.cab
            O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/1,0,0,26/mcgdmgr.cab
            O16 - DPF: {78AEEDE8-7345-4FB5-A8FE-4BFF16EF25FC} (McAfee Virtual Technician Control Class) - http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/cab/mvt.cab
            O16 - DPF: {1842B0EE-B597-11D4-8997-00104BD12D94} (iCC Class) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/pcpConnCheck.cab

--
            End of file - 5623 bytes

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 11:21:04 AM »
            I don't see much there, but...
            Open HJT, and checkmark following entries:
            - O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1C988BA8-1BCD-4F2A-9876-96B1F2D89A77} - (no file)
            - O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E434D3C7-A673-4100-8140-79C020945017} - (no file)
            - O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - (no file)
            Click "Fix checked".

Next...
            Download, and install CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds. Get "Slim" version.
            Read CCleaner instruction here: http://www.jahewi.nl/ccleaner/ccleaner.html, and run CCleaner

Then...
            Navigate to C:\Windows, and find Hosts.sam file. Open it with Notepad, copy, and paste it back here.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 12:03:39 PM »
              Hello Broni,
              Here is the Hosts.sam file:

# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.
              #
              # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98
              #
              # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
              # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
              # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
              # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
              # space.
              #
              # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
              # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
              #
              # For example:
              #
              #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
              #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »
              Nothing there.
              Please update your IE to version 6.

When you're done with upgrading...
              Download, and install TCP Optimizer: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
              Open it, and put a checkmark in Optimal Settings. Click Apply changes button.
              Restart computer.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »
                Hello Broni,

My IE is version 6. I made a mistake identifing it in when I posted this topic and realising my mistake in reply #9. I quoted myself on this.

I double checked my IE version, and it is version 6. Sorry, my mistake. :-[

I tried TCP Optimizer a few times in the past, with no luck.  :(
                I will try again, though.  :-\

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 12:40:57 PM »
                When you're done, I'd like you to reinstall Firefox.
                Make sure, you completely uninstall it, following this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox
                Then, install fresh copy.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »
                  Hello Broni,

As far as I know, Firefox in not installed, but I will use the link just incase anything was left. I do not have the program though. Do you know where I can download it?

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 02:37:10 PM »
                    Hello,
                    Sorry it took me so long to reply. Firefox acts the same as it has for me in the past.

Hello,
                    I tried FireFox three times in the past, and my internet connection was even worse than usual. I couldn't get online muchless visit any website. :( 

This is one of the reasons it took me so long to reply. I think I will avoid firefox for now on. :)

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 04:20:43 PM »
                    I'm starting to think this is a connection issue...
                    Have you contacted your ISP and had them do a line check ? ?

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »
                    I'm little bit paraplexed with the issues like yours.
                    I don't know, if it has anything to do with February updates, but over last few weeks I've seen problems like this one in epidemic proportion.
                    One site, two sites, secure sites. I have to see working solution, yet.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 12:43:31 PM »
                      I'm starting to think this is a connection issue...
                      Have you contacted your ISP and had them do a line check ? ?

Hello patio,  :)
                      Yes, I had Comcast check my computer. They told me they did'nt find any problems. They used their laptop and connected it to my modem. The were of no help at all, really. I don't intend to call them back here. They charged me $25.00 and they did'nt do anything. >:( (Sorry, I did'nt mean to complain to you about this.) m(_ _)m  :-[

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
                      Don't feel bad about complaining...everyone needs to vent once in awhile especially when it comes to poor/shoddy service.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 01:07:36 PM »
                        Hello patio,
                        Sorry I took so long to reply. Thanks for letting me vent.

I'm little bit paraplexed with the issues like yours.
                        I don't know, if it has anything to do with February updates, but over last few weeks I've seen problems like this one in epidemic proportion.
                        One site, two sites, secure sites. I have to see working solution, yet.

I think I will close this topic. As Broni said, they have yet to see a solution. Thanks to everybody who tried to help. I appreciate it. m(_ _)m
                        Haseo

Broni

Mastermind
                          • Computer Help Forum
                        « Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 06:27:27 PM »
                        Let's try few steps, one-by-one...
                        Uninstall Windows Update KB890830.
                        Restart computer. See, if it helped. If not, we'll go from there.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »
                          Hello Broni,
                          There is no entry in my Add/Remove programs that matches the program you listed.

Can you also help me with another topic? It's called Explorer and User.exe. It's also in the Internet Browsers Forum.

Broni

Mastermind
                            • Computer Help Forum
                          « Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 08:23:47 PM »
                          My previous post doesn't apply to you. I forgot, you're with Win 98.

Try this. Go Start>Run, type in:
                          regsvr32 wuapi.dll (<---watch for "space")
                          Click OK.
                          Repeat the very same command, substituting wuapi.dll with following files:
                          • wuaueng.dll
                          • wucltui.dll
                          • wups.dll
                          • wuweb.dll
                          • atl.dll
                          • softpub.dll
                          • wintrust.dll
                          • initpki.dll
                          • mssip32.dll

Note: Since you're with Win 98, some of the above files may be not present (command will create an error, but don't worry about it). In that case, proceed to next command.

Restart computer, when done.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 02:35:31 AM »
                            Hello to all,

I did as Broni suggested, and all went well. Explorer allows me to visit WebMD.
                            Thank you Broni and everyone, for your help.
                            Haseo

Broni

Mastermind
                              • Computer Help Forum
                            « Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 05:20:18 PM »
                            You're welcome :)

fred333

Rookie

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 08:01:43 AM »
                              That worked thanks.It has sped up my web surfing.
                              Going through my A+ training right now.

Broni

Mastermind
                                • Computer Help Forum
                              « Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 05:55:06 PM »
                              Thank you for posting back, because I just started testing the above solution, and I'm glad it's working.

elxr06

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 07:30:59 PM »
                              That worked thanks.It has sped up my web surfing.

good. glad that it works for you. Enjoy your day.