Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dead motherboard?  (Read 1978 times)

Eg0Death

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Dead motherboard?
    « on: March 04, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »
    I recently bought a motherboard on Ebay.   It is an EVGA 131-K8-NF44 NForce4 SLI Micro ATX.  I used it an put a computer together with the following hardware:

• AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    • 512MB PC3200 (Geil)
    • EVGA e-GeForce 7300 GS 256MB PCI-E video card
    • Antec 480W PSU (also tried a 400W SolyTech)

I haven't connected any optical or hard drives yet.

The SLI jumpers are set to 'off' since I have only 1 graphics card and it is in the middle x16 slot.  According to the manual all socket 939 Athlon 64 CPUs are supported and a 350W PSU is the minimum (300 is the minimum listed for the graphics card). 

When I power up the system the fans kick on, there is one beep from the system speaker, EVGA is briefly ( 2 or 3 seconds) displayed on the monitor, and then the video cuts out and the fans shut off as the system speaker makes a sort of trilling noise.   

All of the components I've plugged into this EVGA motherboard work fine when plugged into a Foxconn motherboard. 

I've contacted the buyer and he doesn't know what else to do.  I'm looking for some additional trouble shooting ideas before I request to return it.  Please let me know if anyone has any or if more info is required.
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
      • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Dead motherboard?
    « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
    Is all the parts seated well? Heat sink, processor fan?
    I had this one experience wherein evrytime I turn on this computer, it would go on and suddenly goes off. After inspection of the parts, I noticed that the heat sink and processor fan wasn't tightly screwed. After tighting it, it went well and the computer's up and running till now...
    "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
    --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Dead motherboard?
      « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:44:21 PM »
      Make sure sure the processor is sucured and see if that don't work.  The board has an about 75% of being bad.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres