Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Media Player Classic crashes my computer :[  (Read 7804 times)

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • It's hip to be sq3r.
    Media Player Classic crashes my computer :[
    « on: March 05, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »
    First, some computer info: Windows XP Pro, SP2. The version of MPC I got came with the standard version of the K-lite Codec Pack.

I can open the program fine, but when I open a video file of any kind (including DVDs) it will stretch the window to the dimensions of the video, but instantly afterwards it will make my screen go black and I can't interface with anything. If music is playing, it will get stuck on a sound and make a horrendous grinding sound until I manually restart.

This happened a while ago, but I remember it working just fine until it started doing this. I've been using VLC since, but I hate VLC so I want MPC back.

It doesn't happen every time I use it, and I haven't seen a pattern yet, mosly because of a lack of wanting to try since I have to restart my computer every time it happens.

I thought maybe it had something to do with my video card, but my drivers are up to date. Plus, it works with VLC just fine...

Does anyone have any idea what I can do, because I watch videos quite frequently, and I just plain don't want to switch to a less convenient media player.

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • It's hip to be sq3r.
      Re: Media Player Classic crashes my computer :[
      « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:24:35 PM »
      Anyone?

:[

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:28:28 AM »
      .... it is a weird one ...

Has MPC ever worked correctly since you installed it?

What file types have you tried?

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • It's hip to be sq3r.
        « Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:32:57 AM »
        Yeah it has worked perfectly fine before. I went through a bit of computer problems earlier involving reformatting my hard drive, but I remember this issue happening after I had settled and things were going normal. Then, suddenly, it started doing this.

I have tried DVDs, .avi, .mpg, and possibly another standard video file or two.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
        « Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:46:40 AM »
        What version is MPC?

Have you tried deleting it & d/l it again seperately from the K-Lite?

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • It's hip to be sq3r.
          « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 12:49:39 AM »
          I have the most recent one, 6.4.9.1.

I haven't done it separately from K-lite, no. I will try that next, thanks :]

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
          « Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 06:57:24 AM »
          It will more than likely be corrupt codecs though.

Dias de verano

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 07:32:53 AM »
          That K-Lite codec pack is well known for causing crashes. I suggest getting and installing the codecs individually.

PS Thread bumping is bad manners.

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
          • It's hip to be sq3r.
            « Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »
            I did not know that about the K-lite pack.

And I only bumped because my thread was a few spots from the second page with 0 replies.

Also, I replaced the MPC with the one I was linked to earlier, and even though it seems like it was the exact same thing (just one executable file) I think it's working just fine. I can't say for sure yet, because I got it to play several videos in a row before, which made me think it was fixed, and a few more videos later, it crashed.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
            « Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 07:47:06 PM »
            If the problem persists, uninstall K-Lite & reinstall (simplest solution).

As Dias pointed out, some people do have problems with the K-Lite package, mainly because people don't know which codecs they need to install individually & so go for the full install, installing loads of codecs they'll never need. Why that would cause a problem I don't know, perhaps it's a conflict issue.

Personally, I would uninstall K-Lite then install FFDshow on it's own (FFDshow is bundled with K-Lite & does most of the work anyway).

If you want to spend a bit of time researching & installing additional codecs, you can learn more about them & download individual codecs from here (well worth a bookmark!) there's also a forum & just about every free video tool worth having available to dl aswell.

If for some reason a video doesn't play (FFDshow supports AVI, DivX, XviD, WMV, MPG, MPEG2 (SVCD, DVD), H264, AC3, DTS, AAC) then you can use a codec analzyer like CodecInstaller to look at what codec the file needs.

Hope this helps...

Dias de verano

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 11:46:44 PM »
            If I may say so, Neljan, that was a very good answer in my opinion.

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
            • It's hip to be sq3r.
              « Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 12:03:59 AM »
              I'll have to agree with you there.

Thank you very much, everyone who helped. I will report back if the problem turns out not to have been solved.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
              « Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 12:24:40 AM »
              If I may say so, Neljan, that was a very good answer in my opinion.

Was that because your name was mentioned? :)

Thanks buddy... you do a good job too!

Dias de verano

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 12:50:34 AM »
              Was that because your name was mentioned? :)

No, it was because, unlike mine, your answer gave a good clear explanation of the problem and suggested a very good solution, that is FFDshow.

I will just add that I have found Gspot is a useful tool for seeing which codec a file needs to use, and also gives plenty of other information about video files.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
              • It's hip to be sq3r.
                « Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »
                Okay well it turns out it fooled me again.

I did everything neljan said; I uninstalled K-lite Codec Pack, installed FFDshow, and re-downloaded MPC, but it still screws things up when I play videos. When I tested it, I tried about 10 different .avi video files, and none of them made it crash. But then of course later I tried one that did >:[

I was wondering, do you think any of the settings in the .ini file could be doing this? Because I have been using the same settings file from the beginning...