Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't write to cd's from my Seagate Free Agent Go ext hdd  (Read 2827 times)

jimpl

Topic Starter

Beginner

can't write to cd's from my Seagate Free Agent Go ext hdd
    « on: March 06, 2008, 07:23:05 AM »
     When I plug it in to the usb port on my laptop and look in My Computer, it shows up as drive F. I can click on it and open it. It seems to have it's own operating system of sorts called Ceedo. I want to copy pics from it to my cd drive.
      I right click on the folders I want and click on copy or click on "send to"/ cd drive.  It begins like it's copying but the "files waiting to be written" balloon never comes up, and it does nothing"
      I tried right clicking on the cd icon in My Computer, and hit properties/recording, there is a place that says:
     Select a drive where windows can store an image of the cd to be written. A drop down has C,D, and F drives.
     I thought selecting the F drive would get it working but it doesn't.
      Any thoughts from anyone?
      Jim

win xp pro/ HP pavillion dv8130

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: can't write to cd's from my Seagate Free Agent Go ext hdd
      « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:16:33 AM »
      The built in burning feature in XP isn't very advanced. Try using a proper burning application instead and see if you don't get better results.
      BurnAware and CDBurnerXP are both free and very good choices.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:16:53 PM »
      I can click on it and open it. It seems to have it's own operating system of sorts called Ceedo.

Please clarify this...it's own OS doesn't sound healthy.
      For further info on it check in Disk Management.

Is Ceedo a Volume name ? ?
      Are there files already on it that can be accessed properly in Explorer ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jimpl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »
         I may not have used a very accurate description. When you open the drive, you get a page that looks similar to the My Computer page in windows. It has a My Pictures/My Documents ect. folders.
            Anyway, when I first got it, I went through this same problem and I fixed it but I can't remember how. Then later on I replaced my hard drives and had to start over. As for the burner, I can copy pictures from the My Pictures folder on my computer (not the one on the seagate) to a CD just fine. I'm sure it's a setting but I just can't find it.
          Jim

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »
        I'm now more confused than before...
        There are files on the external right ?
        You cannot copy files to the external or cannot copy files from the external to your HDD ?
        The only place you can copy files is to a CD drive ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »
        When I plug it in to the usb port on my laptop and look in My Computer, it shows up as drive F. I can click on it and open it. It seems to have it's own operating system of sorts called Ceedo. I want to copy pics from it to my cd drive.
        If you have Ceedo, I'd think you would know it.  Maybe you'd better visit Ceedo, read up on it, and figure out how you got it installed and how to properly use it.  Or, perhaps you'll want to remove it.

jimpl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:24:44 AM »
           Patio,
             The "freeagent Go" is sold as an external hdd with Ceedo already on it. You plug in to a usb port and it opens up. "My Computer" sees it as an external drive. When you start Ceedo, you get what looks like a start menu for windows, but it's all on the ext. hdd.(Ceedo)
            I have previously loaded picture files ect. on the ext. hdd. I used to be able to copy those onto cd's but now I can not. My machine has been through a lot since the last time I tried to do this.(replaced hdds & reinstalled Win xp)
            I have done some experimenting and found that:
              1. I can write to cd from my internal drives.
              2. I can copy files from internal to external drives.
              3. I can copy files from external to internal drives.
            Also I noticed that when I try to copy from ext drive to cd:
           If I already have tried to copy a file and I try the same file again, it says it's already there and wants to know if I want to replace it.  Makes me wonder If the files I try to copy are going somewhere else!
             I think today I will try the burning programs that were suggested yesterday.
                Jim

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:29:51 AM »
          Patio,
             The "freeagent Go" is sold as an external hdd with Ceedo already on it. You plug in to a usb port and it opens up. "My Computer" sees it as an external drive. When you start Ceedo, you get what looks like a start menu for windows, but it's all on the ext. hdd.(Ceedo)
          In your original post, you seemed to have no clue what Ceedo is or why it's on your system and, by mentioning it, you imply it has something to do with your problem.  Then, in your last post (second quote above), you explain what it is, implying you did know what it was when you started this forum discussion. 

So, do you think Ceedo is still relevant here or not?

jimpl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »
             Hey all,
              I tried the 2 burning programs suggested above, and I couldn't get the "Cd Burner XP" to work(operator error I'm sure) but, the "Burn Aware" works beautifully, was very easy.
               Problem solved! (although I hate not knowing why I can't get it to work like my original set up)
              Patio,
              While I was typing this, I got your reply.
                  I apologize for my ignorance. I'm still not sure if ceedo could be considered an operating system. I don't think so. But I was just trying to let you know it was there, as opposed to an ext drive with nothing on it. I also don't know if the Ceedo was part of the problem or not.
              Jim

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 09:41:09 AM »
            I haven't used Ceedo but, based on the info I saw on their website, it's similar to U3 that is found on some flash drives.  I have a flash drive with U3.  When I connect it to my computer, a "Launchpad" starts; this is a separate menu for special, i.e. U3, versions of various programs that are installed on the flash drive.  So, I would not call Ceedo, or U3, an operating system.  It's just a special program used in connection with an external storage device.  Therefore, I think it was irrelevant here.