Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reinstall won't work - win 98  (Read 5645 times)

klthyges

reinstall won't work - win 98
« on: January 23, 2005, 11:13:10 AM »
Hi,
I erased windows 98 (by using the command format c:).  When I use the boot disk from a, I can get to msdos prompts.  However, when I try to run and install windows 98 from cd rom (using f:setup), nothing happens (bad command or file name).  
E: used to be my cdrom drive but it appears to have been bumped to f:, but I assume this is irrelevant.
 The cd will spin, and if I run DIR, it will show folders but no files.... a command of setup.exe will not work either.  I have a sony cdrom, but sites say the generic driver in win 98 boot disk should run it... and like I say it spins....Can someone please help?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 03:43:57 PM by klthyges »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: reinstall won't work - win 98
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 06:15:39 PM »
Have you used this Windows 98 CD before? It sounds like the security device inside the CD is preventing you from using it...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

klthyges

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 09:15:00 PM »
I used it once when I reinstalled over top of itself... and it worked, but I still had problems (e.g., outlook and explorer would not run, error messages, etc.) so reformated c and am now stuck.  
The only thing is that I no longer had my own win 98 disks, so borrowed a friend's burnt copy....  I can't take it in for repair as I don't have the sticker either... There is nothing else I can use as I can't purchase it again as it is no longer sold, and my operating system can't handle xp or even 2000....

Zzyzx

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 06:55:20 AM »
I checked my old copy of Win98. There is another "setup" in the Win98 directory.

Try running: f:\win98\setup

This may get you going again.

Good luck.  8)

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 12:48:59 PM »
I think that its the security device that Microsoft has installed that is preventing you from installing...

[glb]Flame[/glb]