Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista can't detect network  (Read 4922 times)

Newgeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

Vista can't detect network
    « on: March 09, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »
    I just finished my first barebones computer and am having trouble getting it connected to our home network.  The computer is using an Intel D945GCPE motherboard with a Realtek RTL8101 Family PC-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) integrated connection.  I tried downloading the driver from Realtek, but when I try to set up a network connection, Vista (64bit) is not detecting the network.  We have two other computers hooked up to the network, one of which I am using to post this, so I know the problem is with the computer.  What am I doing wrong?

mr_skipper24

Beginner

Re: Vista can't detect network
      « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:38:15 AM »
      check the cables.
      have you check the IP address of the Vista computer?
      also the try to ping the vista computer with another PC and vice versa.
      Check firewall (disable it if possible)

smenna

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:18:17 PM »
      I have the same issue with my laptop.  I use a wireless connection to our network.  We have one other laptop/wireless running XP that has no problem finding the network and one desktop PC that is wired.

For the wireless connection, I usually have to turn off the wireless beacon and then turn it back on. 

mr_skipper24

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »
        Make sure that vista is using the same network name.

Newgeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »
          OK, I feel very stupid.   :-\  I thought that what was on the motherboard would allow me to connect wired and wirelessly.  Can I only connect with an Ethernet connection?  I tried installing a Network Adapter Card (Hawking Wireless LAN PCI card) and its driver---still no joy with the same error.  No driver was recognized and the device was unidentified under the Device Manager.

Also when I went into ipconfig to find the computer's address, I got an error that said:

Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection *6:
          Media State.....:  Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix

Any more ideas?
          « Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:01:17 PM by Newgeek »

mr_skipper24

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 04:03:37 PM »
            Make sure that its properly installed under device manager.

Don't worry about the IPv6

look for the IP address under IPv4
            make sure that your router is DHCP is enabled
            check the cables make sure its properly plug-in

Newgeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 05:55:23 PM »
              I don't even know how to find IPv4.  My router is DHCP enabled and everything's plugged in because I'm using the wireless connection on the computer I'm typing on now.

Device Manager recognizes the Realtek Network adapter and says it is working properly.

I realize that I didn't make it clear that the router is connected to a computer (desktop).  The laptop I'm using now is connected wirelessly to the network.  I'm trying to add a third computer to the network.  It happens to be running Vista instead of XP, like the other two computers.

Could someone tell me if I need to install a card to the computer I'm trying to add since I don't intend to use a wired connection?

Newgeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 07:20:31 AM »
                More information:

I used the DOS command "netsh wlan show all" and DOS says there is no network adapter.  How can this be when it shows up functional in Device Manager?

mr_skipper24

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »
                  try to ping your NIC card

Newgeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 06:25:27 PM »
                    Solved the problem!!   ;D   I was missing hardware.  I didn't realize the desktop was different than the laptop.  I just needed the external wireless adapter.  I feel kinda dumb, but I've never built a computer before.