Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer keeps crashing on bootup  (Read 2229 times)

sniffynose

Topic Starter

Rookie

computer keeps crashing on bootup
    « on: March 07, 2008, 10:02:07 PM »
    Hi
    Am trying to fix my friends PC. Briefly it is a P4. I opened it up and found 3 hard drives attached. When you turn it on it starts to load up XP but then the monitor goes black with the little flashing curser in top left corner.
    This is what i have done so far:
    - removed and reseated ram(cleaned slots)
    - removed all hard drives except for master
    - removed and reseated video card
    - checked bios
    - tried an old H/D with Win 98 and it worked perfectly!
    - tried 2nd hard drive and tried a new install of XP
    (It installs to a certain point and shuts down as previously)
    - On the 2nd H/D I tried fixboot and fixmbr and then tried to install XP again with the same problem at exactly the same spot as previous)
    - tried changing the H/D cables
    - tried XP R install with original XP Home cd.
    etc....
    At this point I am puzzled as to where to go next?
    any suggestions would be great
    greg
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:13:53 PM by sniffynose »

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: computer keeps crashing on bootup
      « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 03:50:00 AM »
      Are you formating the drive?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:00:02 AM »
      I would test each HDD with the diagnostics from each HDD manuf. available free at their websites.
      The next thing to test would be the RAM...DLoad and run MemTest...let it run a few hours.
      If all these pass and look good borrow a known good PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there.

Good Luck and let us know.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sniffynose

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »
        Are you formating the drive?

It had 3 hard drives. I removed the main drive which has all of my friends important files(she has been writing short stories). I have been using the 2nd hard drive for diagnosting what is the problem with the computer.
        I tried to run a clean install of windows on this hard drive. I run XP and format the drive and it will load XP up until the 35 minute to finish mark and every time it shuts down at this exact point.
        When I tried to boot up with the original(1st) hard drive it starts to load XP but then the screen freezes and it goes black. I'm using my monitor so I know this is'nt the problem.
        I suspect maybe ram, or psu at this point. I think the h/d's are not the problem. It did work fine when I used an old h/d with 98 on it!!!
        I'll remove the cpu and ram again and give them a clean and try again.
        thanks
        greg

sniffynose

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »
          Good Luck and let us know

I found an old video card and swapped it over but the problem persisted.
          I removed the cables and cleaned the contacts and it seems to be working.
          The H/D that was the C drive is now the D drive as I still cannot boot from it. I guess XP must be the problem. I'm loathe to do anything with this H/D in case I loose anything.
          Anyway, my friend will be happy she can access all her short stories and important files.
          thanks for your help.  :D
          greg