Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wiping my Hard Drive  (Read 2118 times)

SupremeLegate

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Wiping my Hard Drive
    « on: March 12, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
    OK, I have searched all over the internet to try and figgure out how to wipe Windows XP off of my hard drive. And so far I have come up emty, since I was able to find the solution to my other computer problem here I am hoping that I can get this one too.

I have two hard drives on my computer, only one is active at a time as I have to manualy switch out the power cord. One is a 160 GB and the other is a 320 GB, and what I want to do is wipe Windows XP off of the 160 so that I can installed Windows 98, as several games I have work on 98 and not XP.

From what I have read, and remeber from having wiped my hard drive before, all I need to do is insert the Win98 CD, load up to the Boot Device Menu and then tell it to load from the CD. Well when I have tired that it does not work, here is what I see when I try.

Boot Device Menu
    *Onboard SATA Hard Drive
    *USB Device
    *Onboard or USB CD-Rom Drive

*System Setup
    *Hard Drive Diagnostics
    *Boot to Utility Partition

When I selcet Onboard or USB CD-Rom Drive I get this message "Selected Boot Device not avaliable", and since I have a CD drive and a DVD drive I tried both, and got the same message. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can to to wipe WinXP off the 160 drive and install Win98?

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Wiping my Hard Drive
      « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:32:09 PM »
      You seem to have a SATA hard drive based on the boot options you have posted.
      Windows 98 doesn't support SATA hard drives so I think this will be an exercise in futility.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

SupremeLegate

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »
        Oh thats just great, anyone know how to get Star Trek Deep Space Nine Dominion Wars to work correctly with XP.

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 03:06:32 PM »
          Have you tried setting the compatibility mode to Windows 98?
          Right click the shortcut for the game, select compatibility and activate compatibility mode.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)