Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: missing hard drive space  (Read 3695 times)

Aldom92

Topic Starter

Beginner

missing hard drive space
    « on: February 02, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »
    hello everyone.  i have a 160GB hard drive divided into two partitions (i bought the computer with the hard drive already in it and partitioned).  C: is 145GB and d: is 3.74GB. in the bios it detects the full 160. so my question is... wheres the rest of my space?  oh, and i already checked disk management too and disk properties.  i have xp pro. thanks for any help 

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: missing hard drive space
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 10:38:09 PM »
    It's all about Decimal vs. Binary measurements...

For simplicity and consistency, hard drive manufacturers define a megabyte as 1,000,000 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes. This is a decimal (base 10) measurement and is the industry standard.
    A decimal capacity is determined by dividing the total number of bytes, by the number of bytes per gigabyte (1,000,000,000 using base 10).

However, certain system BIOSs, FDISK and Windows define a megabyte as 1,048,576 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes. These are binary (base 2) measurements.
    A binary capacity is determined by dividing the total number of bytes, by the number of bytes per gigabyte (1,073,741,824 using base 2).

This is why different utilities will report different capacities for the same drive. The number of bytes is the same, but a
    different number of bytes is used to make a megabyte and a gigabyte.

For instance...
    Various Drive Sizes and their Binary and Decimal Capacities

Drive Size in GB Approximate Total Bytes Decimal Capacity   |   Approximate Binary Capacity (bytes/1,073,724,841)
    (bytes/1,000,000,000) 

10 GB ----------------------------------------------------------------------------9.31 GB
    20 GB -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 18.63 GB
    30 GB -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 27.94 GB
    40 GB -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 37.25 GB
    60 GB -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 55.88 GB
    80 GB -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 74.51 GB
    100 GB ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 93.13 GB
    120 GB ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 111.76 GB
    160 GB ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 149.01 GB
    180 GB ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 167.64 GB
    200 GB ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 186.26 GB
    250 GB ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 232.83 GB                                                       

Aldom92

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »
      thanks a lot. i guess i shouldve thought about that. very well explained. thanks again

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 06:50:27 PM »
      Yes, very nice explanation!  I'd read infomation about that a long time ago, and forgotten too much of it!  ::)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 06:54:35 PM »
      Wow! MiA for over a month?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:40:49 AM »
        The BIOS isn't ment to see that just what ever hardware is attached to the system
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 09:45:37 AM »
        The BIOS isn't ment to see that just what ever hardware is attached to the system
        ??