Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internal floppy drive/will foremat/no read/write  (Read 4666 times)

happydog

internal floppy drive/will foremat/no read/write
« on: January 21, 2005, 05:13:25 PM »
Can not get A drive to read or write.    new unit and flat cable. tested in dos, it will format a disk. when I try to write to it I get this message  A:\is not acccessible    The system cannot read from specified device. retry   cancel   Packard Bell/win 98 SE. 4.10.2222/processor intel pentium 133 megahertz/main curcuit board intel corp. BIOS American Megatrends 1.00.07.CPOR  09/07/96. Bios settings are fine. device manager message is device is working properly.This is the only problem with my computer. Have tried all the help pages in computer Help. thanking you in advance. Happydog

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: internal floppy drive/will foremat/no read/wri
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 05:17:20 PM »
    happydog........Is it showing up in your bios ?    Was there a floppy drive in this pc before ? Are you certain that the flat cable is the correct way around ...I dont think those cable connectors are keyed ........
    Does the led ( light ) come on in it when you boot up the machine ?
    Have you looked at the boot order to be sure its in the process ?

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 05:20:08 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

happydog

Re: internal floppy drive/will foremat/no read/wri
    « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 05:06:27 PM »
    dl65 thankyou for your fast reply.sorry about the delay in my answer.   yes to all of your question. As you know computers were put here to drive us mad.bought a new  A drive put it in would not work.   took it out and put in an other A drive out of one of my old computers   the old one worked fine.  ran a scandisk and a defrag, everything  working just right.   put new one back in ran  scandisk and was told that there were to many bad clusters ,and to get a new A drive.  so thats what I did . new one won't work  and  my old one wont  work now.  ran a virus scan and came put clean. went to control panel, systems, propertys, the driver is fine and working . here is message I get when I try to use  A drive. A:\ is not accessible  The system cannot read from the specified drive. retry   cancel.  When I start the computer I get  my post beep All is well. thanks again for your help,and all other help you can send will be greatly recived .happydog