Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router to Router..possible?  (Read 4678 times)

lumpy2783

Topic Starter

Starter

Router to Router..possible?
    « on: March 06, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »
    I have just moved into a new apartment where a roomate has a Belkin WirelessG router in theliving room.  I have a desktop in my room (far away) with no wireless card, but i do have a netgear wirelessg router.  Can I link my router (that is not linked to the internet) to his Belkin router (connected to modem), and run a hard line from my router to my desktop, and possible my ps3? 

Thanks!

Ryan

mr_skipper24

Beginner

Re: Router to Router..possible?
      « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »
      If your talking link the two router wirelessly "NO" its not possible. what you can do is connect your router (netgear) to his router (belkin) using ethernet connection. setup will be like this :

[modem]------[Belkin router]---------[netgear router]

lumpy2783

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:16:26 AM »
        thanks!  And so if i run en ethernet wire to my Netgear from the Belkin, i can use my router as a HUB? and divide the connection into two? 

mr_skipper24

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »
          you can still use the router funcution of. all you have to do is connect the belkin router to the WAN port of your router and change the IP of your router and your computer to the LAN ports of your router.

Deerpark

Egghead
            « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:42:59 AM »
            Having two routers both doing routing is a bad idea and is going to make it impossible for you to be accessible from the internet (which you may need for optimal gaming). A better solution is to connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on your roommate's router to a LAN port on your router.
            Then disable the DHCP server on your router (there's a setting somewhere that'll let you do that). This way your router functions as a switch and your roommate's router will do all the routing.
            If you need to forward a port you only need to do this on your roommate's router.
            Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
            Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

mr_skipper24

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:46:06 AM »
              That is correct. If your fun of playing games online and access secure web site that needs to enable port on the router you need to make your roommates router as the main router and your router act as a switch.

lumpy2783

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 06:04:58 AM »
                Thanks alot guys!  Ive gotta buy a long ethernet cable, and Ill try this out.  Thanks!

lumpy2783

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 08:28:03 AM »
                  Just to clarify...

When you say LAN port, you mean one of the four "outgoing" ports right? I have 5 ethernet ports, 4 for cables leaving my router going to ps3, pc, etc, and one taking in the connection from the router.  And you guys are saying I should put the cable from my roomates router into one of those four LAN ports, say Port on1, then a cable from port 2 into my ps3, and a cable from port 3 into my pc, and once i reactivate my DHCP thingy ill be able to use my netgear router as a switch?

And by switch you mean i can use both my ps3 and my pc online, but not at the same time correct?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to work with me.  :)

Deerpark

Egghead
                    « Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 10:01:59 AM »
                    When you say LAN port, you mean one of the four "outgoing" ports right?
                    Correct.
                    And you guys are saying I should put the cable from my roomates router into one of those four LAN ports, say Port on1, then a cable from port 2 into my ps3, and a cable from port 3 into my pc,
                    Correct.
                    and once i reactivate my DHCP thingy ill be able to use my netgear router as a switch?
                    You have to deactivate it.
                    And by switch you mean i can use both my ps3 and my pc online, but not at the same time correct?
                    No, they should be able to be online at the same time. It is not that kind of switch.
                    Thanks in advance for taking the time to work with me.  :)
                    You're welcome ;)
                    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)