Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freeze and crash; xp or vista can not be reinstalled only win98 & linux  (Read 2002 times)

f@edrik

Big problems.
My computer suddenly froze when many apps were running. I think it was itunes and some mapping program called mapman.

the computer is a fairly new (200609) zepto znote 6615wd
It has a core duo intel processor and 1gb ram

The computer was forced turned off with the on/off button

After this it would not start xp in safe mode, last working config. or any other choice

A reinstallation of xp or vista did not work, it started the row of installing in bottom but suddenly stopped and went dead.

A computer guy I know (I am not) had a look and found that hardrive, ram and other hardware was running fine. He managed to install linux, but still no xp.

I then gave it to a local shop to have a look at. They tried starting it with an external harddrive hooked up and also exchanged the ram. No result except that they managed to install win 98.

So now I am sitting with an erased hardrive and win98 on my computer. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how I can adress it?

regards from a computer fool