Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Hard Disc Drives  (Read 2259 times)

Trafford99

Compaq Hard Disc Drives
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:44:27 PM »
I have a Compaq Presario C300 running XP that has died on me( I can't boot it up as when it tries, the power light just flashes on and off). I also have a Compaq Presario A900 running Vista Home Premium. Would it be possible to remove the hard drive from the C300 and use it in the A900?
 I guess not as the operating systems are different but I'm asking on the off-chance. Thanks for any advice.

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Compaq Hard Disc Drives
    « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:55:17 PM »
    You can have the drive connected as long as the other one isn't but it will boot into what ever OS is on the drive.  It should work.  but xp looks at the differntce in the hardware.  Sorry Sp was using spell check
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Compaq Hard Disc Drives
    « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:16:29 PM »
    No.
    It probably will not boot properly on another machine.
    And you risk data loss/corruption by doing so...
    Have you DLoaded and ran the diagnostics  on the old drive ? ?
    Their available Free from the drive manuf. site.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "