Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help me - power supply problems.  (Read 2829 times)

Hoverfly

Topic Starter

Please help me - power supply problems.
    « on: March 14, 2008, 07:57:24 AM »
    This is the situation i am in:

I have a compaq evo computer (2.4Gbz, 512 RAM) and it currently has a SFF (small form factor) power supply on 175 watts. This is not enough for the Geforce 6200 256mb graphics card i bought.
    I was aware that it was unlikely to work on my current 175W power supply, as adding up all the components basically came to 180 - but i thought it was worth a try (ebay - cheep)

1) The computer turns on, but doesnt make the usualy harddrive warming up noises and no pwoer to screen and no start up noise - just a few lights and fans turn on. I assume this is because the power supply isnt big enough? Please make sure i am right- i am a low knowledge comptuer user.

2) I want to get my graphics card working so i can play battlefield 2142 (yes i know its not amazing but i like it) - the graphics card isnt a SFF graphics card and i cannot put the cover on when i am using it as it is too big and bulky- will that affect the fact it isnt turning on (works fine when i take the graphics card out). Do i need to get a pecial SSSF graphics card, as im doing things on the cheep.

3) New power supply - assuming that i need a new power supply (i may be wrong - please tell me) - i can easily get really cheep 250watt power supplies on ebay - they wouldnt fit in the case, but neither does the graphics card - would they still work! as in - does the evo (as it isnt standerd ATX) have the same wires from the power supply to the computer as a normal desktop. If not can i use a non SFF power suply as i can get them cheep on ebay as well - i cannot find SSF power supplies on ebay, and those hwich have gone have been the 175W ones, and have gone for a lot more than the 250W ones.

Please help me - email me would be best or post after this

[email protected]

Thankyou very much for reading and i hope you can help me!

email addy removed to prevent SPAM
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:43:18 AM by patio »

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Hoverfly

Topic Starter

Re: Please help me - power supply problems.
        « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:27:08 AM »
        Will a micro ATX fit into my compaq evo, as they look a diffrent shape, and is ATX compatible with the compaq evo

Thanks very much for your help, though, and i assume this means that my computer acting like this with the graphics card is because of the lack of power?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          Re: Please help me - power supply problems.
          « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:50:41 AM »
          Well, if you weren't having problems before you changed out your video card and now you are...

Yes, a micro board should fit.

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!