Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Search for files and copy to folder if found  (Read 2090 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Search for files and copy to folder if found
« on: March 14, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »
Hello, I am trying to find a much more efficient way of searching, finding, and copying files to an external drive than using:

xcopy c:\*.xls d:\sort\xls\*.* /s/d/y

I am trying to search for all MS Office documents on the entire hard drive and save them to a sorted folder which contains a folder for each type. Currently you start the batch and it takes like 5 minutes to search for all XLS, and other 5 minutes to search for all *.doc files etc, so the more you are searching for backing up into an external sorted location, the longer the batch takes.

I understand that I could speed it up by not sweeping the entire harddrive, but instead search withing the users profiles and exclude c:\windows  , but I was wondering if anyone know of a better quicker method than the command above from the command line for a Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista system.

I have searched for a way to pass an argument into the Windows Search function, but I havent found any way to add that to a batch to run a Windows Search. So I am hoping that their is a command combination or maybe even a free dos tool out there that will make searches quicker that I am unaware of.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

AndyF

Rookie

Re: Search for files and copy to folder if found
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 07:21:13 AM »