Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WINDOWS XP "Not valid Windows image, check against installation" error  (Read 5916 times)

vkilgore7

Topic Starter

Starter

I'm running Windows XP Home Ed.,Ver.5.1(Build 2600.xpsp-sp2_rtm.040803-2158:Service Pack 2), here's what's happening :o:
    1. I get an error message C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1bf_6.0/2600/2982_x-ww_ac3f9c03\comctl32.dll
    Not a valid Windows image.  Please check against installation CD.
    This happens when I click on the time of day, try to install Windows XP components from the installation CD like "games" or "Explorer", etc.

2. After this happens the previously loaded games that were working have deteriorated to image boxes on the desktop and do not execute wanting me to search for the path to them in the hard disk program files.  Sometimes Internet Explorer disappears as well.

Help, Help, does anyone have suggestions.  I'm running Kaspersky Anti-Virus as well.  THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! :-\ :-\

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Go to Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter...
    Have your XP CD handy as it will ask for it.
    Let it run to completion, remove the XP CD and re-boot.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

vkilgore7

Topic Starter

Starter

Glad to hear from someone, but I already did run sfc /scannow and did a restart or reboot not a total shutdown.  I'm trying it again hoping to get rid of that nasty image.  If this doesn't work, should I delete the "comctl32.dll" file from my hard drive (C:)?

vkilgore7

Topic Starter

Starter

Did the sfc /scannow, but still get error message.  Patio, what do you think of deleting the file?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes

vkilgore7

Topic Starter

Starter

Got it fixed!!!!! I had to remove a password from a file that had been invaded by a Trojan virus.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          Good News indeed ! !
          And Welcome to CH !