Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please give the detailed reply about the symptoms of having bad capacitors.  (Read 3102 times)

Kai-yan

Topic Starter

Rookie

Dear Friends,
                     Please inform me the symptoms of a computer if its mainboard having bad capacitors. Thank you very much.
    « Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:00:04 PM by Kai-yan »

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Welcome to the CH forums.

Think about any problem which can occur on any piece of hardware and "bad" capacitors can cause it.

Following is an extract from this site and there is lots more info on the WWW.

Quote from: Wikipedia
    Common problems caused by bad capacitors:
        * Not turning on all the time; having to hit reset or try turning the computer on again
        * Instabilities (hangs, BSODs, kernel panics, etc.), especially when symptoms get progressively more frequent over time
        * CPU core voltage or other system voltages fluctuating or going out of range, possibly with an increase in CPU temperature as the core voltage rises
        * Memory errors, especially ones that get more frequent with time
        * Spontaneous reboots
        * In case of on-board video cards, unstable image in some video modes
        * Failing to complete the POST, or rebooting before it is completed
        * Never starting the POST; fans spin but the system appears dead

Good luck.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

homer

Expert
      as for physical symptoms of a bad capacitor, you may notice any of the following...

1. burnt - the wrapping around the capacitor may appear slightly burnt or completely charred.

2. leaking - the dielectric within the capacitor may possibly be leaking out.

3. impregnated - rather then the usual cylindrical shape, the impregnated capacitor will appear to be bulging, most often from the sides and from the top. impregnated capacitors, although harder to spot, are the early warning signs of a failing capacitor. take note that all cylindrical type capacitors have a flat top, if it is even slightly rounded, then it is impregnated.

Kai-yan

Topic Starter

Rookie

Dear Friends,
                         Thank you for your replies. Thank you.

Fordtruckmaniac

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        homer,

Is that a Dell board with the buldged capacitors?   :)
         Fordtruckmaniac

homer

Expert
          i dont know who manufactured the motherboards. are dells notorious for bad caps?

Fordtruckmaniac

Apprentice

• Yes
          • Experience: Familiar
          Yes, my son has a Dell GX270 Opti Plex. It was acting all haywire, doing this and doing that, shutting down, you name it, it was doing it.

Opened the case looked at the MB it had more swollen capacitors and leaking  ones than not.

I contacted Dell, it was a big enough problem on that particular model, they sent a replacement motherboard free of charge, even a box and prepaid shipping to return the defective one.

He lucked out there.
          « Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:15:45 PM by Fordtruckmaniac »
           Fordtruckmaniac