Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: old old laptop Dell Latitude C610 with Win98 connecting to Internet  (Read 5016 times)

Jek Hawkins

Topic Starter

Beginner

Hey guys, as stated, having trouble connecting an old Dell laptop w/ Win98 to the Internet. Here's what I've done.

Linksys Wireless-G Notebook adapter via USB port in the back:

drivers installed properly and the monitor for the network came up right, but even though I entered the right passcode it turns up "No association with Access Point"

direct-line connection to "Access Point" (C610 has an ethernet built-in to the side) but I'm stuck on what to do-any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Already tried support services and they weren't any help as usual

the C610 has a new Win98SE installation, so there are NO DRIVERS (that's why i am trying to connect to the net to GET them)

thanks again!
    For Aiur!!

Jek Hawkins

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: old old laptop Dell Latitude C610 with Win98 connecting to Internet
      « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:20:55 AM »
      on a side note, i tried putting the drivers on a cd-r from a computer with the Internet and putting it in, but it doesn't work, the C610 reads the disc as blank  ???
      For Aiur!!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 04:56:11 PM »
      If the machine you put them on a CD with it's probably XP with an NTFS file system which would explain Win98 not seeing them...
      Throw them on a thumb drive which most if not all are FAT32.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jek Hawkins

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »
        whoops, problem was resolved, thx patio! i didn't realize that modern compies don't CLOSE the disc lol, something just so simple...
        For Aiur!!