Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LiteOn DH-20A4P-21C Not showing up??  (Read 4006 times)

T-Rex

Topic Starter

Intermediate

LiteOn DH-20A4P-21C Not showing up??
    « on: March 17, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »
    I bought this drive around a month ago , i installed it into the computer , connected all ata cables to the correct place , and it decided not to show up . Now I'm pretty sure dvd-rom drives have pre installed drivers so we don't need to install them . The drive has power and is working to the extent that the green light will come on and allows me to open and close the disc try , so its clearly not a power issue . The cables are connected correctly . Allthough my ata port on my motherboard is slightly bent , its a gigabyte board and some of the pins bent out of shape , but i corrected them so it shouldn't be a problem.

The drive wont read any disc , or show up in my computer . Ive also tried scanning for hardware in control panel but no luck.

Ram: 2 gbs
    Psu:650 w
    gpu: 7800 geforce
    Hardrive: Western Digital 160GB

Here's a link to the disc drives spec: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134324/show_product_reviews

Thanks for reading :)

"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: LiteOn DH-20A4P-21C Not showing up??
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »
    You're sure those bent pins, or formerly bent pins, are making proper connection?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

T-Rex

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »
      Yeah I'm 100% sure , took out my torch's shined it under the tiny gap between the cable and ata port there all fully connected.

Very stupid little port as well , and on this board its all sata , only one ata port. :(
      "Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:15:45 PM »
      okay, sorry -- kinda obvious -- just wanted to get that physical connection out of the way...

T-Rex

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:41:42 AM »
        Can someone please help??  :-\

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 12:27:51 PM »
        Does the device show up in BIOS?

Is it in the device manager in control panel?

IF the device has power but doesn't transfer data, then it's back to the data cable or the plugins.

T-Rex

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:23:18 AM »
          Doesnt show up anywhere.  :(

Kai-yan

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »
            Dear Friend,
                            Just run it with other computer.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »
            Borrow another optical drive that you know that works and hook it up to that IDE port on the MBoard with a brand new IDE cable....i'm afraid that pin damage is permanent and this will confirm it.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 04:00:13 PM »
            If you can confirm the drive itself is good, you may consider (if you have the open PCI slot, and the money -- $30 -- maybe less) you might install an IDE controller card in the computer.  You can then run the drive off that IDE controller.  Of course, at that point, you may just keep the same processor, and put another mother board underneath it.  Just some options, but try to confirm the operation of the drive itself, first.

T-Rex

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 10:57:55 PM »
              Ive fixed the issue.  8)

It wasn't the IDE port.

It wasn't the IDE cable.

It was the jumper settings.  ::)

Thanks for all that replied.

Rex